VOIP on an iPhone recommendations.

LTDLee

I am looking for a mobile solution for a VOIP line. I have tried and paid for Zoiper and found this to be quite useless on an iPhone, it seems to de-register whenever the phone screen goes to sleep mode. I only need to receive calls on the line and need it to be available and have some kind of messaging service at all times. Any suggestions.

chrisc

Executive Member
Been using FF app for 3 months. Good service but poor quality voice quality in about 1 out of 10 outgoing calls

Chiller89

I haven't used the FreshPhone app personally (looks like a decent option potentially)
Always use the Bria app (there seems to be two though) when I do VoIP from a cellphone.
They are a monthly sub now (R15p/m) but you get background access, push notifications and can use G729 codec which a lot of apps will make you pay for.

Seems to work pretty well, but nothing will beat a proper VoIP handset, it's never as good from a cellphone.

chrisc

Executive Member
Been using FF app on an iPhone since Dec 2019. Need to buy R150 airtime about every few weeks.

Last week received an SMS advising the number would be cancelled due to disuse. Yet call log shows 93 calls in October and balance of R75,15

Today, outgoing calls don't work. There is a hiss after a number is dialled. Seems like number has been discontinued. Called the 087- number from another phone. Message is "call failed"

Dashboard shows number off-line

Half_Frog

Expert Member
If you have a VoIP account you can use GS Wave (Grandstream Wave). Its a free app and works like it should. Even has G729 support

Prawnapple

Expert Member
I haven't used the FreshPhone app personally (looks like a decent option potentially)
Always use the Bria app (there seems to be two though) when I do VoIP from a cellphone.
They are a monthly sub now (R15p/m) but you get background access, push notifications and can use G729 codec which a lot of apps will make you pay for.

Seems to work pretty well, but nothing will beat a proper VoIP handset, it's never as good from a cellphone.
Heads up: G729 is now free to use world-wide. Apps that still make you pay for G729 are essentially robbing you and other unsupecting people of their money.

As of January 1, 2017 the patent terms of most licensed patents under the G. 729 Consortium have expired, the remaining unexpired patents are usable on a royalty-free basis. Thus, G. 729 can be used free-of-charge

Zoiper can get phucked and so can other apps that make you pay to utilize G729. /rant