Vox Fiber - Feedback

m.zakariyya.g

Is anyone experiencing slow download speeds on Vumatel's network with Vox. I'm in the Cape Town Southern Suburbs - speedtests normal but downloads are 10% of what they should be.

zeck

Anyone having problems on vumatel/vox? Have a constant 100ms ping with just 1.5mbps download on 200mbps line.

Pada

Executive Member
Since about 17:15 I've seen the latency increase between our VOX/Frogfoot connection in Cape Town and Hetzner Centurion, and also packet loss since about 19:00 - see my below graph:
vox.png

I am also having about 15% packetloss on VOX Fatpipe (ADSL) from Stellenbosch towards CSGO server in Gauteng area. My Axxess account has no packetloss, however I am also seeing increased latencies - so I'm really not sure what is going on

stroebs

Expert Member
I am also having about 15% packetloss
Friend of mine is tearing his hair out with Vox. Same 15% packet loss you're witnessing. Royal Ascot over Openserve, 15% packet loss to the first hop.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Since about 17:15 I've seen the latency increase between our VOX/Frogfoot connection in Cape Town and Hetzner Centurion, and also packet loss since about 19:00 - see my below graph:
View attachment 673573

I am also having about 15% packetloss on VOX Fatpipe (ADSL) from Stellenbosch towards CSGO server in Gauteng area. My Axxess account has no packetloss, however I am also seeing increased latencies - so I'm really not sure what is going on
Some traffic is moving around the country. Google traffic from JHB is going to CPT. That could be causing Vox national transit links to get saturated causing packet loss.

Also by some of the teace routes provided in the dsl feedback thread looks like CPT IPC is also suffering some congestion or issues.

thewusman

Expert Member
Anyone on VOX fibre able to comment if this is better ?

I'm on 40mbps VDSL VOX Fatpipe continues to behave badly at random times (high latency, slow speeds etc) in the PE area for around 2 weeks now (notwithstanding the fibre break earlier last week).

Using Afrihost as a back-up account and all is fine.

Have 100/100 FTTH pro uncapped on pre-order with them (Frogfoot about to go live in my area) but am considering cancelling if this is the new norm ...

wingnut771

Executive Member
Anyone on VOX fibre able to comment if this is better ?

I'm on 40mbps VDSL VOX Fatpipe continues to behave badly at random times (high latency, slow speeds etc) in the PE area for around 2 weeks now (notwithstanding the fibre break earlier last week).

Using Afrihost as a back-up account and all is fine.

Have 100/100 FTTH pro uncapped on pre-order with them (Frogfoot about to go live in my area) but am considering cancelling if this is the new norm ...
Blame openserve, not vox.

wingnut771

Executive Member
Afrihost don't use Openserve then ?
I'm assuming you're using openserve network as you're changing isp's, so afrihost would also be using openserve, but theirs isn't congested, but openserve take months to upgrade after the fact, so vox just sit and wait.

thewusman

Expert Member
I agree that might be an issue in another scenario - but in this instance it's at random times of the day (or at least has progressed to that) and at times when there is traditionally no congestion. Weekends, Sunday mornings etc.

Netflix hour on WebAfrica used to be hell when they had congestion issues - this is something else.

And most times it resolves itself after a period of time (sometimes minutes, sometimes hours).

Go figure.

cavedog

Honorary Master
What I have seen from trace routes is that adsl and vdsl does not share the same routes as openserve fibre. I think vox has multiple locations where they pick up traffic from Openserve.

People complaining about poor latency and speed but on my 200Mbps openserve line with a fatpipe special account I don't see the same issues and latency unless it happens on the transit side of vox network.

walt chen

the latency was high just when out of my home, then back to normal, no packet loss yesterday

Naks

Expert Member
hi everyone,

I'm on Afrihost 50/50 Premium, and fairly happy with it despite some throttling after big downloads.

Vox sales guy came to my house and spoke to me about switching, and their 100/100 is about R100 cheaper than what I'm paying now for Afrihost 50.

Anyone else switched from Afrihost to Vox or vice-versa and have some feedback?

Thanks

cavedog

Honorary Master
hi everyone,

I'm on Afrihost 50/50 Premium, and fairly happy with it despite some throttling after big downloads.

Vox sales guy came to my house and spoke to me about switching, and their 100/100 is about R100 cheaper than what I'm paying now for Afrihost 50.

Thanks
I'm guessing this is on Vumatel? As far as I know Afrihost has changed and does not shape or throttle on any packages other than Openserve.

Naks

Expert Member
I'm guessing this is on Vumatel? As far as I know Afrihost has changed and does not shape or throttle on any packages other than Openserve.

no, my neighbourhood runs on Frogfoot

cobusv

hi everyone,

Thanks

I'm quite happy with my vox line, 100 meg runs like a dream and perfect for streaming