VPSnetworks a.k.a virtualservers.co.za

Evil-Twin

I have been reviewing the service offerings from virtualservers.co.za for a few days now and I quite like what they have to offer.

People do not realize how different vps offerings can be, depending on what virtualization platform is used, what kind of server control panel the customer has access to etc.

The biggest mistake a provider of vps services can make is to assume that whatever virtualization platform they use will not affect the way a customer can control and utilize his/her vps. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_platform_virtual_machines for more.

What I like about virtualservers is that they are Xen based, and you just cannot go wrong with xen. See http://www.xen.org/ for more

Apart from that, they offer a high availability solution, so servers are deployed instantaneously from the order form.

They use Solusvm for their front of house. It is nothing special, but it does the job so you can't really ask for more.

Thus far, I recommend virtualservers.

Also watch out for my review of the new web africa vps service which opened to the public yesterday.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Must agree with you, their clouding solution is miles ahead of all the other VPS providers. We currently have two cloud servers with them and have only had one issue since they introduced this product.

Evil-Twin

Just an update... Apart from a reboot which I performed, they are nice and stable:

root@haku:~# uptime
22:37:31 up 53 days, 3:22, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Gig

Not so true

Just an update... Apart from a reboot which I performed, they are nice and stable:

root@haku:~# uptime
22:37:31 up 53 days, 3:22, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Unfortunately they not so stable. They have been offline a few times. Check their tweets and the facebook. Plus they are not very client friendly. The business is 1 man who leave at at 5PM. You cant get them on the phone almost ever and they blame their lines being out. But, it does answer, they just dont pickup or you wouldn't get the pabx voice.

Been a client for a few months and I am moving. I would think twice before using them.

Evil-Twin

I disagree with you entirely with regards to your statement that they are not stable. I am not concerned with what their tweets or facebook says, I am concerned with what I see when I type "uptime". You can say its unstable if you can provide proof that it is indeed unstable... From where I am sitting, I have 59 days uptime which is actually quite stable.

As far as there being one person in the support department, I've dealt with companies that have a full team offering 24/7 support and they don't offer anything nearly as good as virtualservers.co.za. The fact that the owner of the company is also in charge of support can be a good thing as he will ensure that you are dealt with promptly.

Regardless, if my server is up and is stable, I don't require much support. So until I actually experience instability or lack of support with this company, I struggle to see how you are experiencing it.

Evil-Twin

linode ftw actually :p But the question is, who does local vps the best?

Evil-Twin

You raise a good point! And in response... Sometimes people require local :)

Gig

Spitefull attitude of an ISP

Following on from my previous comments VPS Networks did not like that I challenged them and have given me 48 hours to move my domains.

Firstly by law this one man business can't do it. Practically he probably could but then that is on his head. I think a guy like this needs to be named and shamed if this is the service level he provides.

Also, he claims that my domains were suspended which is why we went offline. If that was the case then how come I only had emails from that morning when the service came online. It was a DS issue and he simply lied about it to cover up his system malfunction, which is also why he was not answering any phone calls over the few days.

I warn you again to be use the guy at your own peril. as per my previous comments this is a one man ISP who can does not have money to grow. And I suspect they will be going out of business soon.

Gig

Evi-Twin, you sound like you are employed by them. Plus you cant ignore that they are offline. The tweets and facebook are a good example and should not be ignored when choosing a provider. Plus what kind of company makes mistakes on invoices, cancels clients services, etc. Its just not the right thing to do.

But, try call them. Their phone doesn't just rings. If the lines were out the PABX would not answer. Why not just post a cellphone number on their website.

what is also odd is that the illegal "cancellation" email was sent not long after you made your post.

If you want to stay with them that is up to you. But, when companies behave unethically they should not be supported, or what kind of society would we create.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Following on from my previous comments VPS Networks did not like that I challenged them and have given me 48 hours to move my domains.

Well I have a VPS there but if this is the attitude of the guy hosting it I will start looking for another provider today.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Rackspace ftw

At those prices. Not a chance. For the same price as their 4GB RAM option I could get 4TB of disk space and 32GB of RAM, 8 CORE CPU and unlimited bandwidth on a dedi for.

Last edited:

Gig

Well I have a VPS there but if this is the attitude of the guy hosting it I will start looking for another provider today.

Thanks for the support ghoti. If we dont stand together on things like this then we will keep having poor service in the industry.

Evil-Twin

Gig, well if I worked for them than your theory that there is one man in the business would not make much sense. Regardless, I don't work for them

Secondly, I can't comment on issues regarding domain names. All I can comment on is my experience, and I have a vps located on their Cape Town servers and in three months I have yet to find one single issue with this company.

Heck, they even gave me a good deal on bandwidth as I require quite a lot.

Malasius

I would also not go this route. An absolute awful provider with terrible support...

Gig

And so it continues

If you thought VPS was a not malicious then I have more evidence.

I have tried to move the domains and the day before we start moving the domains they suspend the account. We have to get Uniform to do a manual transfer and investigate VPS for their unethical behavior.

It was also only the second time I got a call from them in about 6 or so months and it was to complain that I should not post on their facebook page. They then removed the post, which wasnt malicious, and blocked all comments from everyone. If they were really a service driven company they would just let us move our domains and handle this as best possible.

I have paid everything owing but they claim I now owe another R 259 and that they have thousands of happy clients. If they had 1000's and were as big as they claim they wouldn't worry about R 259. And I am sure this is simply a power play issue. Paying them wont help as well as its all about trying to control, something most smaller ISP's seem to relish.

They wont release my domains and frankly if I have to I will take it to the media, radio, etc if I need to. Its not right that ISP's behave like this and its considered acceptable.

BTW Malasius, 3 months is no indication of service. In about December their DNS provider confirmed on email that their DNS had not been paid. They were offline and they blamed us for not paying a bill which they had made a mistake on (we were offlline 3 days, when the bill was paid the first day), which had nothing to do with us. Plus they then released a special on twitter to overcome the problem. They are not making enough money and their service is very poor and they bring in clients with low pricing it seems.

If you want to remain their client thats up to you. But, I require an ISP to provide great service and to work with me to get my business moving, etc. VPS does not do this.

Enjoy your day while I fight to get my domains released.

Last edited:

Gig

Fix

Evil-Twin

Gig, well if I worked for them than your theory that there is one man in the business would not make much sense. Regardless, I don't work for them

Secondly, I can't comment on issues regarding domain names. All I can comment on is my experience, and I have a vps located on their Cape Town servers and in three months I have yet to find one single issue with this company.

Heck, they even gave me a good deal on bandwidth as I require quite a lot.

Sorry, Malasius, I meant Evil Twin.

Gig

The final straw

This is from an email response I got from them when I asked for my domains to be released:

As you no longer wish to do business with us, and have specifically stated that you are not paying your outstanding balance, I will have your service terminated along with all data effective immediately.

Is that great service?

froot

Honorary Master
Pfft. You should rather get a proper host :p

59 days is fine, but does it compare to the 200-and-something days I got from Mweb? Without it going down (network) once?

But yes, Gig, that is great service *pukes in shoe*