Vuma Survey

rh1

Expert Member
I hope so. That’s the only reason I left fibre to go to rain. Vuma isn’t cheap. Was paying about R800 for a 20/20 line. Imagine!
It is quite expensive for what you get from competition.

davyb

I don't live in a lower income area. Vumareach is rolling out in my area. It's purely based on race.
No, they use median income data of the areas, also the network equipment and roll out is different. You also dont have much choice as there is only 2 packages at the moment. Vumatel core is EPON and Vuma Reach is GPON tech

Polymathic

Honorary Master
No, they use median income data of the areas, also the network equipment and roll out is different. You also dont have much choice as there is only 2 packages at the moment. Vumatel core is EPON and Vuma Reach is GPON tech
No, firstly if it was based on median income alone then my area should be getting Vumatel Core. Average household is 2 income university graduate households with at least 3 Cars. A Historical Indian neighborhood but there are a few black residents as well as a few white families living here now.

Vumatel strategy in KZN seems to be rolling out exclusively Vumareach because their pricing of their core products vs the competition. It seems they are only focusing on historical non-white neighborhoods with their Roll out. The historical white neighborhoods in my area are being totally ignored which have basically the same median income has my neighborhood.

BTW there are 9 different ISPs on reach

davyb

No, firstly if it was based on median income alone then my area should be getting Vumatel Core. Average household is 2 income university graduate households with at least 3 Cars. A Historical Indian neighborhood but there are a few black residents as well as a few white families living here now.

Vumatel strategy in KZN seems to be rolling out exclusively Vumareach because their pricing of their core products vs the competition. It seems they are only focusing on historical non-white neighborhoods with their Roll out. The historical white neighborhoods in my area are being totally ignored which have basically the same median income has my neighborhood.

BTW there are 9 different ISPs on reach

We know there is 9 isp's and I said 2 packages. you are probably surrounded by lower median income areas and thus get the same product. Also due to historical effects the majority of lower median income is from certain races. So yes you can say it is race based but that looked at median income data. O yes in all areas you get families with 3 cars, wink.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
We know there is 9 isp's and I said 2 packages. you are probably surrounded by lower median income areas and thus get the same product. Also due to historical effects the majority of lower median income is from certain races. So yes you can say it is race based but that looked at median income data. O yes in all areas you get families with 3 cars, wink.
There's no other neighborhoods around ours, 1km to east is a historic white neighborhood and 1km to the west is another historic Indian neighborhood (middle - working class). If Vuma was rolling out core in the "White Neighborhoods" they would have also rolled it out in my Neighborhood.

davyb

There's no other neighborhoods around ours, 1km to east is a historic white neighborhood and 1km to the west is another historic Indian neighborhood (middle - working class). If Vuma was rolling out core in the "White Neighborhoods" they would have also rolled it out in my Neighborhood.
But Durban is a historical hot spot for fibre roll out in the country and you are generally lagging behind compared to Cape Town and Johannesburg so that might also be a factor. Here in Cape Town we have Vuma Core in historically black areas, so median data determined that core could be rolled out there. I am on Vuma Reach and my brother is on core, the distance between us is about 5 Km. I am just greatfull that I got fibre and I must say Vuma Reach is acceptable to me, more packages are in coming and they are speaking about a 100 Mbps package. I dont even think I need to upgrade.

Last edited:

Polymathic

Honorary Master
But Durban is a historical hot spot for fibre roll out in the country and you are generally lagging behind compared to Cape Town and Johannesburg so that might also be a factor. Here in Cape Town we have Vuma Core in historically black areas, so median data determined that core could be rolled out there. I am on Vuma Reach and my brother is on core, the distance between us is about 5 Km. I am just greatfull that I got fibre and I must say Vuma Reach is acceptable to me, more packages are in coming and they are speaking about a 100 Mbps package. I dont even think I need to upgrade.
There's no point building Vumacore in KZN now because Openserve can just run Fibre on their existing poles virtually over night and Openserve is much cheaper.

Reach on the other hand is competitively priced but that can't role out Reach in historically white areas because it will cause a PR problem with other areas currently be charged double for Core. At least with Indian areas they can claim that historically these places were classified as townships.

Kyoto

EPON is only 1G up and down, and is split like GPON, original VUMA was symmetrical AE, today Vuma use GPON for large parts of thier networks not only vumareach.