Wanted: Core Drill bit 110 mm diameter

APoc184

Honorary Master
Looked now but couldn't find the pictures.

We've done "stitching" quite a few times as well.
When they were upgrading Loftus before the 2010 WC they had to put the roof over the East Pavillion and they had to put beams through the concrete pillars. They needed 1200mm x 900mm holes for the beams to slot through. So we would core overlapping 110mm holes in the length and width until that massive piece of concrete just breaks out.

And more recently we did a 3m x 3m stitch on a government building in Arcadia.
The contractors poured the slab but forgot to leave space for the elevator shaft :laugh:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You are all going to laugh at what I used to core a 110 mm hole once before. A ring of 16 mm holes and then finished the hole off with a piece of plastic sewer pipe with teeth cut around the rim like a wood hole saw. It worked fine in the brick wall.

APoc184

Honorary Master
You are all going to laugh at what I used to core a 110 mm hole once before. A ring of 16 mm holes and then finished the hole off with a piece of plastic sewer pipe with teeth cut around the rim like a wood hole saw. It worked fine in the brick wall.

It is not stupid if it works.

Many plumbers do the same. Bunch of smaller holes then punch it out with a chisel and clean up the edges with a chisel as well. And then just cover it up nicely when the pipe is through.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

When they were upgrading Loftus before the 2010 WC they had to put the roof over the East Pavillion and they had to put beams through the concrete pillars. They needed 1200mm x 900mm holes for the beams to slot through. So we would core overlapping 110mm holes in the length and width until that massive piece of concrete just breaks out.

The contractors poured the slab but forgot to leave space for the elevator shaft :laugh:
Yup! Saw you guys at work then at Loftus! Was fascinating to watch!

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member

I officially wanna work with you!

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
It is not stupid if it works.

Many plumbers do the same. Bunch of smaller holes then punch it out with a chisel and clean up the edges with a chisel as well. And then just cover it up nicely when the pipe is through.
Thank you very much Apoc184 for the assistance! I was successful yesterday in drilling the two holes required in very tricky locations.

I can't even see the wear on the core drill after drilling the two holes, both through a double brick wall.

APoc184

Honorary Master
Thank you very much Apoc184 for the assistance! I was successful yesterday in drilling the two holes required in very tricky locations.

I can't even see the wear on the core drill after drilling the two holes, both through a double brick wall.
Pleasure, glad I could help... Nice meeting you.

Yeah, it'll go for quite a few holes in masonry with the segments that were left on the barrel.

But that will probably be finished after 1 or 2 holes in concrete. Especially when you hit rebar.