Wanted : eSATA adapter or HDD enclosure

vanHunks

My dork employers have disabled the USB ports on our laptops / workstations. I've tried the usual hacks without success - some trick they've used in Windows authorizations in Group Policies. My docking station does however have an eSATA port so I would like to try that out but need a SATA to eSATA (incl power) adapter or an enclosure with an eSATA port. I don't want to spend a ton of money on this.

vanHunks

Tried online but the units described as having eSATA are nothing of the sort - the vendors seem to imagine eSATA is a version of SATA. The only one that looks vaguely right is the Unique UI-35M12-SL but have been unable to find a proper (manufacturer) spec of this or even photos of the ports. No joy with MW.

I'm hoping someone has such an enclosure which they no longer need (it's obsolete tech, after all) and wants to make a few bob by selling it on.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
My dork employers have disabled the USB ports on our laptops / workstations. I've tried the usual hacks without success - some trick they've used in Windows authorizations in Group Policies.
Have you spoken to the IT guys as to why they disabled the USB ports? Have you asked them to hook up the SATA disk for you?

Swa

Honorary Master
You should be able to still boot from USB. You can install a lite version of Linux and use that to copy over files.

dews

These e-sata enclosures are quite rare in SA. I was able to buy a couple of slim aluminum enclosures (forgot the name) that are really awesome a few years ago, but alas they are not available anymore.
If you do get one, try to not get a thick plastic one, as they do not cool of the HD, get a thin aluminum one.

I'm also looking now for 2 new enclosures now, as i bought a 8TB, 6TB HD and need a home for them.