Warrior race (OCR)

Terence1983

So who is doing the Warrior #6 tomorrow at Riversands?

Will be my 1st proper OCR race, done 2 short ones before, short as in 700m sprint course a few years ago for fun at 300OCR in 3 rivers and about 2 months ago did the Ground Zero Obstacle park at Rietvlei zoo farms opening event. Entered rookie for the first one to get it in the books.

powermzii

Expert Member
You'll have an awesome time, hopefullly its not too hot as the sun out on those runs and obstacles can kill you. Rookie is a good start - it start ramping up from Commando onwards but its all still lots of fun. You doing it with friends or alone?

Terence1983

You'll have an awesome time, hopefullly its not too hot as the sun out on those runs and obstacles can kill you. Rookie is a good start - it start ramping up from Commando onwards but its all still lots of fun. You doing it with friends or alone?
Doing it Solo, I prefer not to hold people back LOL, fitness level is not great at the moment. Ive actually been training at GZ OCR with the DC tigers team members for the past month or so, man those people are fit and super fast, a few of them are going to the world champs next week so they not competing tomorrow.

But yea plan is stick to rookie this year and then do Rookie elite next year and then build up to Commando. Don't think Black ops will ever be an option for me, those obstacles are ridiculous.

My start time is 9.20 so hopefully the weather is cool at that time still.

vajavich

doing tomorrow's race with a few people from work as a mini team building. done a few before and they are a ton of fun.

look into doing the spartan races. personally i think they are better. better organised and the obstacles are well constructed compared to warrior.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I have to get back to a Warrior race, man. I did one, years ago, also a Rookie and ended something like 74th overall for the Rookie bunch for that day. Then I got lazy and unfit.

Charlesjjm

I'll be there tomorrow. I'm only doing the rookie though. Have done Commando before. It will take some time to graduate onto Black Ops, I need to do a lot of work on upper body strength.

I agree with @vajavich. Spartan is much better. I've done all of them and only once encountered a broken obstacle (only one lane, not the whole thing.) With all the Warrior's I've done, there has always been at least one if not two broken obstacles where I had to skip it completely.

Terence1983

doing tomorrow's race with a few people from work as a mini team building. done a few before and they are a ton of fun.

look into doing the spartan races. personally i think they are better. better organised and the obstacles are well constructed compared to warrior.
Definitely doing the Spartan stadion next month at Loftus, that looks fun. Looks hectic with all the stairs but looks worth giving it a go.

Good luck for tomorrow and enjoy it.

Terence1983

I have to get back to a Warrior race, man. I did one, years ago, also a Rookie and ended something like 74th overall for the Rookie bunch for that day. Then I got lazy and unfit.
LOL I feel you on the lazy and unfit part. Been doing road running for a few years but the last year or so has been on and off and my times have gotten really horrible, its like I just started out again, takes me 33 mins to do parkrun, I used to regularly do sub 30 with relative ease.

Terence1983

I'll be there tomorrow. I'm only doing the rookie though. Have done Commando before. It will take some time to graduate onto Black Ops, I need to do a lot of work on upper body strength.

I agree with @vajavich. Spartan is much better. I've done all of them and only once encountered a broken obstacle (only one lane, not the whole thing.) With all the Warrior's I've done, there has always been at least one if not two broken obstacles where I had to skip it completely.
Yea the Spartans are new year as far as I know, im new to the whole OCR thing so still learning as I go along.

powermzii

Expert Member
mmm...must try Spartan then. Haven't done a Warrior since i got injured earlier this year at Nasrec, was in the BlackOps race there but pulled out literally at the 3rd obstacle. Black Ops certainly has gotten tougher (probably to align to world champs level) coz there was a year my wife and i did 6 Black Ops and 2 Rookies and we weren't the most fit

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
So who is doing the Warrior #6 tomorrow at Riversands?

Will be my 1st proper OCR race, done 2 short ones before, short as in 700m sprint course a few years ago for fun at 300OCR in 3 rivers and about 2 months ago did the Ground Zero Obstacle park at Rietvlei zoo farms opening event. Entered rookie for the first one to get it in the books.
How was it I have one at the end of November, I think my brother in law has entered me into the black ops.

His words were "you run lots, you will be fine".

Terence1983

How did your races go?

My first warrior went really well, surpassed all my expectations and goals, placed 3rd male in the 30-39 rookie category in 57m03. Should have entered the Rookie Elite, was passing previous batches within the first 1.5k of the race, got stuck at a few of the obstacles waiting for a turn. Waited for 4-5 minutes at the rope wall which should have taken me less than 30 seconds to get over, ive practiced on a much higher wall and could do it with relative ease. I learned a valuable lesson, listen to your coaches and fellow team mates with more experience, we train much harder obstacles than in the race environment, I just need to work on my running speed and hills, there first 1.5k or so was pretty much hill the whole way LOL.

Yesterday, I ran the spar ladies race with the wife, did 1h16 for the 10k, not my best time by far but my legs were stiff and sore and tired from warrior on Saturday so wasn't too disappointed LOL.

Terence1983

How was it I have one at the end of November, I think my brother in law has entered me into the black ops.

His words were "you run lots, you will be fine".
Are you doing solo or team, elite or normal? If you doing teams or the normal black ops, you should be ok, some of the obstacles like the low rig are pretty tough. But yea lots of running, lots of mud and water LOL but awesome if you just doing it for fun.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Are you doing solo or team, elite or normal? If you doing teams or the normal black ops, you should be ok, some of the obstacles like the low rig are pretty tough. But yea lots of running, lots of mud and water LOL but awesome if you just doing it for fun.
I believe we are doing it in a team, my brother in law and 2 randoms from his work (his company is sponsoring us to enter). Not sure if we are elite he just said its the hardest one with 15km of running.

Just doing it for fun and it already sounds fun haha.

Terence1983

I believe we are doing it in a team, my brother in law and 2 randoms from his work (his company is sponsoring us to enter). Not sure if we are elite he just said its the hardest one with 15km of running.

Just doing it for fun and it already sounds fun haha.
If its a team then you fine and you will enjoy it man. Good luck and have an awesome time.

vajavich

How did your races go?
this was the worst warrior race i have ever done. start at about 10:15 and there were too many people in our batch. spent about an hour in total waiting in queues for the various obstacles. since there were too many people and so much queuing, people got impatient and started trying to cut queues. basically zero race etiquette.

this will be the last warrior race i will be doing. will rather stick to spartan or impi.

on a side note, why do people that cannot swim insist on doing the swimming challenges? saw a few people almost drown in the various water obstacles. the one guy nearly drowned twice in two different obstacles.

Terence1983

this was the worst warrior race i have ever done. start at about 10:15 and there were too many people in our batch. spent about an hour in total waiting in queues for the various obstacles. since there were too many people and so much queuing, people got impatient and started trying to cut queues. basically zero race etiquette.

this will be the last warrior race i will be doing. will rather stick to spartan or impi.

on a side note, why do people that cannot swim insist on doing the swimming challenges? saw a few people almost drown in the various water obstacles. the one guy nearly drowned twice in two different obstacles.
That's hectic, it was my first one but I started in an early batch (9.20) so I didn't wait too long but I was lapping people that started in even earlier batches but I did go out pretty hot to try get in front of most of my batch but then I caught the back markers of the earlier batches which was a bit frustrating, only really had to wait at the cargo net(about 4 minutes) and then at the one water obstacle maybe 1 minute, the rest of them were pretty quick, like less than a minute.

But yea I will be doing elite going forward to avoid the queues, obstacles generally aren't an issue, I only struggled the very last obstacle because I went on the slippiest and highest side of it and I was soaking wet from the swim just before (not sure the name of it, was the vertical like skate ramp wall thing), I did get it on the 2nd attempt, im just not the fastest runner which makes my time crappy but we are working on that.