Web Hosts dislike Subdomains?

boyequal

What are shared hosting providers' aversion to subdomains? I understand basing packages around space, bandwidth, database space, what have you. But, why limit the number of subdomains I can create? (or email accounts?) Especially if it's some ridiculous low number... Some hosts I've contacted said I can get unlimited subdomains if I use their reseller hosting - but it will mean less space. I don't want reseller hosting, I've got one or two domains!

What if I want to have all the subdomains point to the same directory and have a script react differently based on the subdomain. How does that affect the host in terms of space or bandwidth? Don't get me started on (cpanel) hosts forcing you to put subdomains in the public_html directory. That just creates a bigger mess!

End rant. We should probably just bite the bullet and go for a proper VPS.

WAslayer

Expert Member
In part it has to do with forcing customers to pay for more expensive packages where they can get however many subdomains they want or need..

boyequal

In part it has to do with forcing customers to pay for more expensive packages where they can get however many subdomains they want or need..
But I can get reseller hosting and that gives me unlimited everything! But, get your point...

They also don't always advertise these limits, or later claim that number of hosted domains = subdomains...

envo

Expert Member
It's to stop someone from launching a wordpress.com or blogger.com type service, charging for it and then running it on low shared accounts which can incur resources being hogged by 1 particular client. it's like when you share a pizza with someone and then eat 3/4 of it

WAslayer

Expert Member
It's to stop someone from launching a wordpress.com or blogger.com type service, charging for it and then running it on low shared accounts which can incur resources being hogged by 1 particular client. it's like when you share a pizza with someone and then eat 3/4 of it
This as well, but any host that uses that excuse should not be selling shared hosting..

There are plenty of solutions to limit resource usage to a particular account to not affect the whole server and other customers, one of the more popular options being CloudLinux solution..

boyequal

This as well, but any host that uses that excuse should not be selling shared hosting..

There are plenty of solutions to limit resource usage to a particular account to not affect the whole server and other customers, one of the more popular options being CloudLinux solution..
Exactly! As I said, I accept storage, bandwidth and even resource limits. But, limiting subdomains seems very archaic.

envo

Expert Member

Exactly! As I said, I accept storage, bandwidth and even resource limits. But, limiting subdomains seems very archaic.
True, however CloudLinux limits the resources, they set it up to maximize profit and "impose archaic limits" through that anyway.

I would like to reiterate the point I made earlier regarding limiting subdomains, it's to prevent you from adding and then reselling as many domains/blogs on your main domain as you'd like.

Yes, with limits imposed (and most providers should be running CloudLinux by now, at least mine does), I've worked with hosting clients before and they're ... well... idiots. So if you add 100+ subdomains and then complain about your sites being slow/not functioning (usually some kind of error when the queue for serving pages has reached max), then that's another "ding" the hosting provider has to take/manage (especially on social media where things can be brutal)

So believe it or not, and as cliche as this may sound, they limit it to prevent you from Seppuku-ing yourself and blaming them for bad service. It's better to have 1000 happy clients than 1000 idiots complaining their sites never work because they overload them.

I had one guy do that with roughly 12500 subdomains because he used some blackhat methods for affiliate marketing.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Check out Datakeepers, they have "reseller" packages but its just a WHM with root access and you can go crazy on it.

Not sure what differentiates a reseller and a normal vps server.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Check out Datakeepers, they have "reseller" packages but its just a WHM with root access and you can go crazy on it.

Not sure what differentiates a reseller and a normal vps server.
Resources and control. A VPS have more control but limited hardware resources. Reseller accounts, of the same value, often run on higher end servers and are thus more responsive. High end VPS with more CPU/RAM/HDD is much more expensive. With a VPS you have full root access and can literally install whatever software you want to, if you know how to manage it. With a Reseller account you don't need to worry about the backend software. If it breaks, the host has to fix it. With a VPS, if something breaks, it's up to you or your IT team to fix it.

boyequal

So believe it or not, and as cliche as this may sound, they limit it to prevent you from Seppuku-ing yourself and blaming them for bad service. It's better to have 1000 happy clients than 1000 idiots complaining their sites never work because they overload them.

I had one guy do that with roughly 12500 subdomains because he used some blackhat methods for affiliate marketing.
Okay, fair enough. But, surely the host can monitor things out of the ordinary. They have their "fair use policies"

But, here we are, already have 1TB of storage (of which we use maybe 10%?), "unlimited bandwidth" but only 20 subdomains. Still does not explain how reseller accounts can give you unlimited everything.

Resources and control. A VPS have more control but limited hardware resources. Reseller accounts, of the same value, often run on higher end servers and are thus more responsive. High end VPS with more CPU/RAM/HDD is much more expensive. With a VPS you have full root access and can literally install whatever software you want to, if you know how to manage it. With a Reseller account you don't need to worry about the backend software. If it breaks, the host has to fix it. With a VPS, if something breaks, it's up to you or your IT team to fix it.
Precisely. We can easily get a VPS, but then we also need to do manage the software, which in turn means assigning manpower to do it. And a solo server (managed or unmanaged) is complete overkill for this use case. What we need in this case is managed (shared) hardware, managed software and allow us to use the resources allocated.

What's interesting is that these hosting "reps" that always advertise their services on here have nothing to say now...

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Okay, fair enough. But, surely the host can monitor things out of the ordinary. They have their "fair use policies"

But, here we are, already have 1TB of storage (of which we use maybe 10%?), "unlimited bandwidth" but only 20 subdomains. Still does not explain how reseller accounts can give you unlimited everything.

Precisely. We can easily get a VPS, but then we also need to do manage the software, which in turn means assigning manpower to do it. And a solo server (managed or unmanaged) is complete overkill for this use case. What we need in this case is managed (shared) hardware, managed software and allow us to use the resources allocated.

What's interesting is that these hosting "reps" that always advertise their services on here have nothing to say now...
Drop me a PM with your needs, let's see how I can help you.