What category to use when logging line fault?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Former member 61586
  • Start date Start date
F

Former member 61586

Guest
Pings to my exchange average in the 700ms region with about 5-10% packet loss/timeouts.

The packet loss is intermittent and happens every single day at differing times. The high pings is a constant.

My problem is, what category to use when logging a fault. Intermittent service, Intermittent connectivity, noisy etc etc.

Have logged about 10 faults over the past month with every single one just being closed with the problem still persisting. Even logged a call with Telkom Internet to see if they will help. Just received an email reply that my line is syncing fine and that they reset the port. This seems to help with the packet loss issue, but not the extremely high pings. And only for a day or two before it goes back to the usual packet loss as well.
 
I had similar issues. I normally reported as noisy, got a reference number and spam the call centre with it. Tell them it is noisy and you need someone to come there and listen to it. When the dude is at your house show him the packetloss using a tool like Pingplotter Freeware. Complain to telkom's twitter and TelkomZA. There are a lot of bricks but eventually you'll get someone that knows what is going on.

Eventually I got a really helpful tech to help me and ended up replacing the line which solved the problems.

The high ping may indicate a congested exchange (perhaps try it again at 3AM; exchange shouldn't be congested then) in which case there is very little you can do about it.

What area are you in?
 
Well, I reported it as "noisy". Got a call from a lady from Telkom. First time ever in the 10 or so times I have logged faults (under "intermittent service" and "intermittent connectivity") that they have actually called. Normally I just get the SMS that says they are attending to it, and then the SMS that says it has been resolved.

I explained the ping and packet loss issue. She got annoyed and told me that's not a "noisy" issue and that I should've logged an intermittent service/connectivity fault. She said she would send a tech anyway to check whats wrong which I doubt will happen now that she knows its not a "noisy" issue.

I am in Langenhovenpark in Bloemfontein.

Pings are high more or less 24/7. Not awake at 3AM, but have pinged at 1-2AM and found them to be still in the 700-2500ms range like during the day.
 
You can tell the lady to kindly GFH - the packetloss is indeed a result of noise/interfearance between the modem and the exchange. Whether it is audible or not to human hearing is not the issue. The service is not intermittent, it is noisy.

Have you tried a different router? Perhaps drop R300 and get the mighty mini modem Dlink DSL-2500 u

http://www.rebeltech.co.za/4858-d-l...outer-1-port-10-100-lan-adsl2-2-complian.html
 
You can tell the lady to kindly GFH - the packetloss is indeed a result of noise/interfearance between the modem and the exchange. Whether it is audible or not to human hearing is not the issue. The service is not intermittent, it is noisy.

Have you tried a different router? Perhaps drop R300 and get the mighty mini modem Dlink DSL-2500 u

http://www.rebeltech.co.za/4858-d-l...outer-1-port-10-100-lan-adsl2-2-complian.html

problem solved. Technician called me yesterday and said he is at the exchange and did something or swopped my line to somewhere else on the board or something like that. And it seems saying a line is "noisy" is the way to get them to send out a technician. So your advice is 100% correct and helpful. Thanks a million. I have had this issue for over a year. And now it finally seems sorted.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X