What happens when you transfer your line?

Nic_s

Active Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
45
Reaction score
2
I am with Afrihost and I have a uncapped bundle with them. So they manage the line.

However, I would like to move away from Afrihost (Ping to Cape Town CS GO server is around 300ms... WTF???).

1. A friend of mine says that if I transfer my line back to Helkom that I will have no connection for 7 days. Is this true?

2. Can I transfer directly from one ISP to another? If not... why the hell not?

3. How long will it take to transfer a line from one ISP to another (Even if it must go to Helkom first)?


I couldn't find a sticky for this, if I missed it can someone just post a link?

Thank you
 
Last edited:
When I transferred I had no downtime but was the other way around. But I think your ping being an Afrihost issue is very unlikely. It is most likely the physical cable which means swapping won't help.
 
I am with Afrihost and I have a uncapped bundle with them. So they manage the line.

However, I would like to move away from Afrihost (Ping to Cape Town CS GO server is around 300ms... WTF???).

1. A friend of mine says that if I transfer my line back to Helkom that I will have no connection for 7 days. Is this true?

2. Can I transfer directly from one ISP to another? If not... why the hell not?

3. How long will it take to transfer a line from one ISP to another (Even if it must go to Helkom first)?


I couldn't find a sticky for this, if I missed it can someone just post a link?

Thank you

1. Not true.

2. Nope.

3. In my case, it took less than 5minutes(2013/5). No nasty side effects:)
 
1. Depends on how long it takes Afrihost to Transfer your line back to Telkom,as well as how long it takes your new ISP to take over the line,but i will come back to this point

2.In Theory this is possible but it will technically go back to telkom first (will ref why in point 3)

3.Dependant on ISP's cancellation terms and when they send the line back...it could take +- 5 days from time of request.It will go back to telkom as a soft suspended line,in which case you have 1 of 2 options.Call up Telkom and ask them to remove it from whatever the hell the "holding pool" is or 2,call up your ISP and ask them to attempt a line transfer...which brings me back to point 1,downtime will only be experienced because its suspended while in the "holding pool".

My understanding is that the "holding pool" is a waiting room,thing is i had to speak to a supervisor as regular agents are clueless????

And lastly,if your line is with Telkom and you want an ISP to manage it, you are going to have a bad time.explaining telkoms own "holding pool" procedure to their staff is a mission in itself.
 
I freed myself from Afrihost last month. Took about 72 hrs for Telkom to get the line back from the pool. So no internet for 72 hours, so basically almost like I was still with Afrihost.......
 
Sorry to hijack this, but I currently have my line with Telkom and want to move my line to my ISP. Is there any downtime doing that?

Thanks,

James
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X