What rubbish

GavinMannion

Executive Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
5,861
Reaction score
0
Location
Randburg, JHB
Read an article on News24 (http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/News/0,,2-7-1442_2026664,00.html)

I found the following quote quite funny

The men had apparently travelled from Birmingham, UK, to Pakistan for a wedding in 2001, but landed up in Afghanistan, where they were rounded up by the Northern Alliance and handed over to the US as terror suspects.

Yeah that happens all the time, last time I left SA to go to London I ended up in Sudan... Seriously how do 'land up' in the wrong country?

They have now made a movie about how it was unfair that they became terror suspects... What do would you expect to happen if that is your story...
 
Erm... if you get on the wrong aircraft, or get left behind at a layover?
 
Yeah like I say that happens so easily. What are your chances of getting on the wrong aircraft in the first place. Then landing in Afghanistan?

Or that your local airline is going to have a layover in a war ravaged country and you go sight seeing and miss your flight.

Bollocks.
 
Yeah like I say that happens so easily. What are your chances of getting on the wrong aircraft in the first place. Then landing in Afghanistan?

Or that your local airline is going to have a layover in a war ravaged country and you go sight seeing and miss your flight.

Bollocks.

Sheeesh dude, it is possible, unlikely but possible.
 
Yeah and it is possible that Bush went to war over WMD...

Some idiots are now getting rich because they thought they where tough and tried to join a war. They then got knocked about by the US and now they want to complain... Bah humbug.. (Pet Peeve if you didn't notice)
 
Without details of how they claim this came to pass it is impossible to say whether it is plausible. When did they buy their tickets? Did they get on the correct flight?

Ultimately though it looks a lot like they were just rounded up in a general fishing expedition that netted numerous people with not even a tenuous link to terrorism.
 
Without details of how they claim this came to pass it is impossible to say whether it is plausible. When did they buy their tickets? Did they get on the correct flight?

Ultimately though it looks a lot like they were just rounded up in a general fishing expedition that netted numerous people with not even a tenuous link to terrorism.

Seriously? You try get on the wrong international flight next time you are at the airport... then when you land in the wrong country you try get out the airport and wander around.

Also if you land in a warzone why would you get out and walk around... I think it was more than a tenuous link personally.

Gunny: I am not giving these people any of my money for supporting terrorism in one form or another....
 
Seriously? You try get on the wrong international flight next time you are at the airport... then when you land in the wrong country you try get out the airport and wander around.

Also if you land in a warzone why would you get out and walk around... I think it was more than a tenuous link personally.

Gunny: I am not giving these people any of my money for supporting terrorism in one form or another....
Have you been to some of the "international" airports on the sub continent?
 
Have you been to some of the "international" airports on the sub continent?

They left from Birmingham... I am not 100% sure but I think that may be in the UK and not the sub continent :D

I am sure it can be explained easily enough, everything can. However where there is smoke there is fire.

Guilty until proven innocent in my opinion. If it took them 2-3 years to prove their innocence then they where not 100% innocent.
 
jontyB,
I have been to a couple of sub-continent airports, which one you had in mind?

Anyways, my point was let us not generalize. These lapses occur anywhere and more often than not, it is reflection of human mistake rather than security system flaws. A recent case at JIA (when it was) was a plane-load of passengers had entered the country without an immigration check because no officials were on duty.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X