What to do? Non paying Customer

If you claim only 15k and take a small hit, you can go to the SCC.

Magistrates court will take far longer and cost you legal fees so rather take a 1.5k hit.

Send a letter of demand for 15k (or 14999, not sure of the exact threshold) and if no answer after 14 days, court.

Make sure to use this template and use a courier/registered mail for the letter.

http://www.justice.gov.za/forms/scc/scc_demand s29.pdf
Thanks we have this template and already did this and delivered to the client but no reaction, now we go to the scc. thanks

PsyWulf

Executive Member
As also already mentioned, the client paid deposit
Strange how I didn't say just a deposit..?

You seem to have a comprehension problem. You hit a milestone,you get paid,you do the next part. You don't get paid,work ceases

My sympathy is decreasing with every "but"

Purply

Expert Member
We use a company called Accountability, their fees are minimal. If the client doesn't pay on time, we log a complaint, letters and such gets sent out to company asking for payment. If payment doesn't come we proceed to blacklisting the company via Accountability. This is usually when they start jumping

gfmalan

Expert Member
Change the website to a single page that says "Client X didn't pay his bills"
I would do this, I would add company logo, pictures and words for Google, that when you Google the business you get to this site, and if the customer uses same domain for email, I’ll suspend that as well.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I would do this, I would add company logo, pictures and words for Google, that when you Google the business you get to this site, and if the customer uses same domain for email, I’ll suspend that as well.
That is always the Achilles heel and the most effective way.

I've had non paying clients jump very quickly after suspending their Online Exchange or Domain if they POP mail.

quovadis

Expert Member
If you claim only 15k and take a small hit, you can go to the SCC.

Magistrates court will take far longer and cost you legal fees so rather take a 1.5k hit.

Send a letter of demand for 15k (or 14999, not sure of the exact threshold) and if no answer after 14 days, court.

Make sure to use this template and use a courier/registered mail for the letter.

http://www.justice.gov.za/forms/scc/scc_demand s29.pdf
If the OP is trading as a company the SCC does not apply.

quovadis

Expert Member
There's nothing wrong with "This site has been suspended due to non-payment" or similar however going beyond that could lead to liability.

Iamnotageek

Expert Member
This will most probably be a hard lesson for you, but one that is needed. Unfortunately you do get people like this, but as time goes on you'll learn, just like I did when I worked for myself. Have everything in writing. No verbal crap.

Be upfront and clear about how and when payment will be made. As for a website, do x-work, get paid. Carry on doing another bit of x-work, get paid.
If they complain about "Why must we always make these payments and why can't we make one big payment", then you tell them you've been burned in the past and it's just to protect both parties.

Back in the day when cheques were accepted I straight up told my clients no cheques. If they asked why I told them I've had bad experiences in the past with cheques that bounce.

Be upfront, yet professional. If this douchebag doesn't pay you then accept it ( after you've done what you can ), and move on. However, learn from this experience as to never repeat the same mistake again.

Remember, this used tampon can hurt you more than you can hurt him. Word of mouth, especially when it's negative, can literally kill a business and bring it down to nothing. I guess that works both ways, but if he gets snotty and starts spreading rumours because you got nasty regarding payment... eish.

Alternatively, and this is a bit of a sneaky way, give their number to someone and have them call the client. Say they're from so and so and calling for payment as it is now past due. If he calls your bluff you're screwed though. :/

As a last resort you could do a redirect on that domain to meatspin.com