South Africa’s biggest forum. Discuss, discover, and connect with thousands of members.
Nope. Mix mince and salt, leave to rest in fridge. What I do is make a long burger patty tube and wrap on cling film. Let it rest in fridge then slice into burger patties.
It won't have much flavor either. I use a mix of breadcrumbs, paprika, plenty salt to bind and Parmesan cheese.
Took a loan. Had platter for 2 at ocean basket. Was 3 of us.
It won't have much flavor either. I use a mix of breadcrumbs, paprika, plenty salt to bind and Parmesan cheese.
Did you take out a loan to pay for lunch?
Yeah. But it's ok.
How I make patties:
Sirloin beef - salted slightly for a few hours before use. Minced on a thick grind. Or if the butcher grinds it, I add a small amount of salt to the mix before use to extract protein binding agents.
I do not season the patty inside, but rather make a spice mix for the outside of the patty that I sprinkle on liberally. Usually white pepper, salt, paprika, msg, sugar, mixed herbs, and onion powder.
As long as the mince is cold, there is no need for any other binding agents other than a little salt before use.
I then take the lid off a round metal cylinder that I use for storing all sorts of stuff. Line it with cling-wrap and spray and cook the thing.
I then gently press the meat into this mould. If you press hard you will end up with a gloopy result as the fats effectively melt under the heat created by the friction and pressure. Just softly press it in, then turn and whack on a board. Out pops a burger. I place an indent in the middle of the burger with my thumb so that it doesn't form into a meatball as it cooks, and as proteins contract and fats are cooked out.
Then season in spice mixture very liberally, and fry or grill on very high heat, turning often to keep the juices inside as opposed to running out of the patty.
The next trick is the burger sauce: tomato sauce, mayo, liquid smoke, habanero sauce, and some of the spice mixture. Smear on toasted buns liberally. Then the pickles - you gotta have pickles to balance the sweet and saltiness of the burger. Then lettuce, tomato, cheese (I actually prefer processed cheese here) or cheese sauce, bacon, fried onion and mushrooms, and you have yourself an awesome burger...
furk me. ok. don't have half the stuff you have, but will stick with the method. feedback to follow, probably in the supper thread.
thanks.
Braai.... Pork, beef, chicken and wors. Off to vote with a full stomach.
Hey everyone. Copa wants you to see his audio interface.
Look at it. How purdy...:![]()
Hey everyone. Copa wants you to see his audio interface.
Look at it. How purdy...:![]()
I did realise it looked a bit showoffish, but I'm not about to crop out a perfectly beautiful Focusrite.
And it was either the interface or my crotch, so...