Whatsapp "desktop" app

CT_Biker

Expert Member
I would like to build a desktop style application for whatsapp which will run on Linux.

I would like to know how I can go about doing this.

I have researched and read that Atom was build using Electron and it is essential just a browser based type Text editor running in a "featureless browser" to give the app a desktop feel. I am currently using an app that appears to be similar which I downloaded from Github and it works, but I have not looked at the technologies this said person used and for now, I do not want to.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I would like to build a desktop style application for whatsapp which will run on Linux.

I would like to know how I can go about doing this.

I have researched and read that Atom was build using Electron and it is essential just a browser based type Text editor running in a "featureless browser" to give the app a desktop feel. I am currently using an app that appears to be similar which I downloaded from Github and it works, but I have not looked at the technologies this said person used and for now, I do not want to.
Your github app is probably just a chromium app: https://medium.freecodecamp.org/the-python-desktop-application-3a66b4a128d3
You can't really do much with WhatsApp as the API isn't public. If you want to mess around with creating an IM, you could use Telegram's API: https://core.telegram.org/api.

Thor

Honorary Master
For testing or do you want to make this work for others?

Whatsap, telegram etc runs in the browser so it will work on Linux.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
For testing or do you want to make this work for others?

Whatsap, telegram etc runs in the browser so it will work on Linux.
It is a bit annoying to have this in the browser all of the time...hence why i would like to build a "wrapper" type application.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
It is a bit annoying to have this in the browser all of the time...hence why i would like to build a "wrapper" type application.
The only advantage you get is that your plug-ins aren't loaded though, so if you're already running your browser, no real benefits.

ronald911

Expert Member
Since Whatsapp's API isn't public, you won't easily be able to rebuilt it.

Electron is basically a Chrome based web browser that runs web technologies HTML/CSS/Javascript.

Can probably <iframe> hack the web version of whatsapp to display it embedded... but otherwise, good luck building it natively.

On the side note, I've converted most of my friends and family onto Telegram, because:

1) it runs natively on Linux and MacOS.
2) Can use Telegram with my phone switched off and is 100% cloud based.
Whatsapp requires my phone to be on and connected to the internet.
3) I chatted to friends about jetski's on whatsapp - next day I'm getting ads all over the web about jetski's - wtf. Telegram is better encrypted and owned / funded by a billionaire (Pavel Durov) with the goal of security & privacy, so your convo's won't be sold to dodgy marketers.
4) FiretrUCK Facebook Inc.

Last edited: