WhatsApp rolling out functionality to send images in original quality

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
WhatsApp rolling out big image quality changes

WhatsApp users on iOS and Android no longer have to worry about sending low-quality images on the platform, as they can now send photos as a document and retain the original picture quality.

According to WABetaInfo, the feature has been in beta testing for approximately a month, during which only select users could use it. However, it is now rolling out to all WhatsApp users on Android and iOS.

I'm hoping this option will show media in the gallery rather than just in the files.

Great for people with a clue. Not so great for things like neighbourhood groups. ARE WE MEANT TO HAVE LOADSHEDDING NOW?? *18MB image of a light bulb turned off*

WhatsApp rolling out big image quality changes

WhatsApp users on iOS and Android no longer have to worry about sending low-quality images on the platform, as they can now send photos as a document and retain the original picture quality.

According to WABetaInfo, the feature has been in beta testing for approximately a month, during which only select users could use it. However, it is now rolling out to all WhatsApp users on Android and iOS.
Is this really new to WhatsApp? Been doing this for ages on Telegram. And with Samsung, my phone is set to save photos in HEIC format...so size is smaller also. If I send it from galary like normal it actually converts it to jpeg and size of the file increases.

Previously, WhatsApp users could only send images through the “Photo & Video Library” option, which heavily compressed images to save data.
Nope

Back