Where is the load-shedding?

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Where is the load-shedding?

When Eskom stopped implementing load-shedding in December, the company stated that it expected a reprieve until 15 January as business shut down for the holidays.

After Eskom started Stage 2 load-shedding in 2018, energy analyst Ted Blom said South Africa should prepare for years of gloom.

eg2505

Honorary Master
so its all totally manufactured crisis? if they want to keep the electricity going, they perfectly capable of doing it easily.

well thats one way to get funding, keep playing around with the electricity supply.

Moosedrool

Expert Member
Mentioned it before but thanks to communist type thinking South-Africa created an entity which is capable of holding the entire country ransom.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Due to the fear mongering I went out and spent R25k on an inverter, solar panels and a couple of batteries.

At least now my usage will be zero units a day and the grid will be my backup

Reactions: McT

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
Scare mongering, when they don't get their price increase, they will haul out the load shedding bogie man.

What they do not understand is that, the higher the price, the bigger the incentive is to use less electricity. So they still loose money. They must find another way of fixing their problems caused by sponsoring the Zuptas.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
so its all totally manufactured crisis? if they want to keep the electricity going, they perfectly capable of doing it easily.

well thats one way to get funding, keep playing around with the electricity supply.
A bit of both.

Cronyism and the Guptas definitely harmed the grid in 2008 and 2014 as coal contracts were manipulated. In the case of the Guptas, coal supply was manipulated to make nuclear attractive. And we're still paying for this.

But then we can't deny that the gross mismanagement and corruption at Eskom has harmed the maintenance side of things.

TheJman

Expert Member
Due to the fear mongering I went out and spent R25k on an inverter, solar panels and a couple of batteries.

At least now my usage will be zero units a day and the grid will be my backup
What did you manage to get to run off solar with a R25k system?

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
What did you manage to get to run off solar with a R25k system?
I have gas and a solar geyser. My total average power consumption is 500w - and the most power is drawn from our 65" TV. All our lights (including all down-lighters) are LED.

We use less than 5 units of electricity a day. I spend around R200 per month on electricity (due to our low usage we get 60 units free per month)

All the solar stuff are still standing in my garage though. I can't afford the installation costs. I didn't think it would cost so much to install the bloody stuff :p

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
I have gas and a solar geyser. My total average power consumption is 500w - and the most power is drawn from our 65" TV. All our lights (including all down-lighters are LED).

We use less than 5 units of electricity a day. I spend around R200 per month on electricity (due to our low usage we get 60 units free per month)

All the solar stuff are still standing in my garage though. I can't afford the installation costs. I didn't think it would cost so much to install the bloody stuff :p
nice
i buy my electricity after payday but never recieve free stuff
Always buy R350 which gives me 166 units (bloody expensive).
Someone at work told me i should rather buy during the begining of the month.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
nice
i buy my electricity after payday but never recieve free stuff
Always buy R350 which gives me 166 units (bloody expensive).
Someone at work told me i should rather buy during the begining of the month.
I seriously doubt that's how it works.
The more you use, the higher the tariff you have to pay. That is the only variable.

Mampara

They want increases every year but we don't see them restructuring and reducing their overbloated staff by a third