Where to do a certificate in Maths

f22raptor

I passed my Ordinary Level in Maths with a C back in 2003. I disregarded topics such as Transformation because they were difficult. I specialized in what I could understand.

16 years later I am thinking of studying toward a degree in Mathematics but would like to take it step by step. I would like to start with a certificate.

Where do I learn Maths in Gauteng? What are the topics involved when doing a certificate?

bchip

What is your aim for the degree?

Anyway depends how slow you want to take it but Coursera is $40 / R 600 per month
Otherwise UNISA
You'll probably end up going somewhere online rather

Quite a few courses made by the universities

Introduction to Calculus
Introduction to Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science
Mathematics for Machine learning
Data Science Math skills
Fibonacci Numbers and the Golden ratio

f22raptor

Introduction to Calculus
Introduction to Discrete Mathematics for Computer Science
Mathematics for Machine learning
Data Science Math skills
Fibonacci Numbers and the Golden ratio
I was thinking pure maths and not computer maths. I did discreet maths at tertiary. It is about how a computer does its calculations. We studied stuff like hec, dec. Discreet maths also explains the reason there is 32 bit and 64 bit.

cguy

Executive Member
You could also potentially register for one course per year from Unisa, just to see how you fare. I.e., start off slow, assuming it will take 6+ years to finish, but then add more courses if you find that you can keep up ok.

Of course, doing some online revision (as per the suggestion above) would be good. Even a first year university course assumes a very good grasp on (matric level) maths.

AllDay

If you are not specifically interested in the physical idea of obtaining a certificate, then find quality commissions on the Internet that will give you a quality and respected diploma after passing the exam.

vic777

Expert Member
I was thinking pure maths and not computer maths. I did discreet maths at tertiary. It is about how a computer does its calculations. We studied stuff like hec, dec. Discreet maths also explains the reason there is 32 bit and 64 bit.
That doesn't sound like discrete mathematics at all, look here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_mathematics

Set theory, number theory, theoretical computer science, graph theory all fall under this branch of maths

If you are interested in pure maths, UNISA's first year linear algebra and calculus courses are great