• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

5IVE

hi guys i recently got accepted to study BCS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY(extended) at NWU vaal triangle
i realy want to study IT but im not too happy with NWU. wits and uj declined me so do you think NWU wll be fine and will i beable to transfer to uj or wits after or should i go for other field in uj.
tnxs

gertvanjoe

Why are you not happy? Is it because of the actual course material and lecturers? Facilities? Or perhaps because it means too close to home?

B. Sc......

envo

Expert Member
nice, got into university and doesn't want to go there. wish I had the opportunity to get into university when I was 18...

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
i realy want to study IT but im not too happy with NWU
Kla met die witbrood onder die arm. :wtf:

Declining this sounds like a sure way to regret a decision 10 years from now. You won't get much better than NWU.

5IVE

what i dont like is that it is gong to be difficult for me to travel as the nwu is about 1.5 hours away from where i stay.But if the course is worth it i am willing to travel that far everyday.what i want to know is that after first year will i be able to transfer to uj or wits as they are close .secondly is the BCS of uj the same as NWU
tnxs

envo

Expert Member
What is a "BCS"?
Bachelor in Computing Science. Google it.

what i dont like is that it is gong to be difficult for me to travel as the nwu is about 1.5 hours away from where i stay.
Welcome to real life. Enjoy your stay. There are people who travel 3+ hours TO work on a daily basis. They get up early in the morning, roll their sleeves up, travel all that way, work 8-9 hours, travel all the way back and then eat and sleep. Some of them even study at Unisa while going through all of that.

Is it worth it? yes it is. It's a university and you earn a degree. One university doesn't offer a more sub-par degree than the other, otherwise they won't offer it to begin with.

It seems you're extremely apprehensive regarding this, and I'm afraid you need to either suck it up and go or stop leeching off your parents, get your ass up from behind your PC and find a job. The choice is yours

vic777

Expert Member
^ this

I used my power of deduction to conclude Bsc. You could have done the same thing vic777, but it seems you were bored and looking to troll rather than add to the conversation
Troll, haha?

You said it was supposed to be BCS, not BSc - post #9, check it out, you seem to have a short memory

5IVE

i know many people go through struggles, but not many people have the money to travel 1.5 hours everyday or rent an apartment.

gertvanjoe

i know many people go through struggles, but not many people have the money to travel 1.5 hours everyday or rent an apartment.
True. Maybe give the university a call. Better still go and see them in person. They would be able to assist.

Nefertiti

Honorary Master
hi guys i recently got accepted to study BCS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY(extended) at NWU vaal triangle
i realy want to study IT but im not too happy with NWU. wits and uj declined me so do you think NWU wll be fine and will i beable to transfer to uj or wits after or should i go for other field in uj.
tnxs
The option to transfer between universities can happen but its not a straight forward process and it also depends on your marks. It would be best to speak to advisers at all the universities and discuss your plans and it will be easier if you plan it correctly from the beginning.

static_sa

Bachelor in Computing Science. Google it.

Welcome to real life. Enjoy your stay. There are people who travel 3+ hours TO work on a daily basis. They get up early in the morning, roll their sleeves up, travel all that way, work 8-9 hours, travel all the way back and then eat and sleep. Some of them even study at Unisa while going through all of that.

Is it worth it? yes it is. It's a university and you earn a degree. One university doesn't offer a more sub-par degree than the other, otherwise they won't offer it to begin with.

It seems you're extremely apprehensive regarding this, and I'm afraid you need to either suck it up and go or stop leeching off your parents, get your ass up from behind your PC and find a job. The choice is yours
I'd go homeless before I travel 3 hours to get to work

I would travel by bus to work and home each day. Took +- 4-6 hours for travel each day. Used every bit of that time to study for my degree through UNISA. Some days were 16hrs+. Today I look back and every bit of what I went through was well worth it :)

envo

Expert Member
In South Africa, with a high unemployment rate, you would snub your nose at a job? You must be a white afrikaner... and complain about "BEE" taking all your opportunities too huh? I know people who are homeless that will make more effort for a job than you would....

I would travel by bus to work and home each day. Took +- 4-6 hours for travel each day. Used every bit of that time to study for my degree through UNISA. Some days were 16hrs+. Today I look back and every bit of what I went through was well worth it :)
^ This guy. I've met so many of you, willing to work hard and make the necessary sacrifices because you know that long-term outweighs the gains of short-term. Wish you luck buddy