Which Browser do you use?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Have you tried adding moz osx font smoothing to your base profile? @Bryn

Edit
So ignore.

Is your system font clear?
My own sites always enable all font smoothing options. Makes no difference to how Firefox renders on Windows. Text looks great across my system and other browsers, so don't want to mess anything up just for a browser I'm not even a big fan of.

It's well known that font smoothing isn't employed by Firefox on Windows, so it's safe to assume that's the issue.

Firefox.

Reason - Was downloading stuff in the early years of XP using IE. a File of 700MB would start a download get to 40% and suddenly say completed. After doing this a few times I started using Firefox. No issues with it that I had to search for a new one. Been using it for years.
The new Edge is a beast for downloads. I get reliable 20MB/s downloads from international sources, so presumably, Microsoft has enabled multi-threaded downloads.

Safari

:ROFL: no, Chrome
As a developer, I truly despise Safari. There's no rhyme or reason to the rendering issues it throws up. And it causes CSS bloat as so much nonsense has to be explicitly declared for the sake of accurate Safari rendering. Other browsers will assume a sensible default for pretty much all values.

Any slightly complex styling, like a cool mobile menu with animations and sliding panels, or some CSS Grid stuff, or playing on the harder side of flexbox for responsiveness, is almost guaranteed to look crap in Safari because you need to manually declare every little thing. Safari is like an idiot, dumbass baby that can't do anything for itself. The new Internet Explorer.

blunt

Expert Member
As a developer, I truly despise Safari. There's no rhyme or reason to the rendering issues it throws up. And it causes CSS bloat as so much nonsense has to be explicitly declared for the sake of accurate Safari rendering. Other browsers will assume a sensible default for pretty much all values.

Any slightly complex styling, like a cool mobile menu with animations and sliding panels, or some CSS Grid stuff, or playing on the harder side of flexbox for responsiveness, is almost guaranteed to look crap in Safari because you need to manually declare every little thing. Safari is like an idiot, dumbass baby that can't do anything for itself. The new Internet Explorer.
and when you press tab to get to a checkbox or radio button on a form it skips them and goes to the address bar, the f***?

Smiley_lauf

Expert Member
Brave for DSTv Now (only browser that will work), and Vivaldi for browsing (synch is built in). Edge for default launches; Chrome for Google Gmail. Firefox for banking. Adguard extension on all browsers.

wobbie

New Edge Chromium.. faster & works very well.
(in fact, I'm using Edge Canary.. never an issue as yet)

John_Phoenix

All of the major ones, except the Microsoft version of Chromium. M$ can take a hike.

It's actually a question of which render engine you use.

Blink, Webkit, Gecko/Quantum or Trident/Spartan

On the note about font smoothing. (I've done real world user testing on this) forcing font smoothing does very little for most users, as regardless of what the css tells the browser, the screen / gfx card / os will send font rendering to hell with complete disregard for our css settings.

If you want to test, most browsers auto apply variable glyph rendering to text sizes above 20px. So when testing a font / typography, test at 3 sizes.

See here for details: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/text-rendering

8px
16px
32px

If the type is clear and legible at those 3 sizes... You're pretty good to go.

WCAG contrast is far more important. Never fail AA, but aim for AAA.

For a online tool see this link:

Last edited:

StevenC

Expert Member
Firefox back in the day, briefly Chrome then back to Firefox since about the time Quantum was in beta. Definitely the superior browser, and the amount of privacy related features that they are pushing compared to the wanton consumption of your data that Google hoovers up makes it an obvious choice.