Which package/price plan?

Candystore

At the sectional title where i live, we are being forced to use Vodacom as an ISP.

I run my business from home and use the internet quite a bit - with that in mind, which plan is best for me? Please attached options. I really have no idea.

Image (4).jpg

BigBear

Expert Member
Month 2 Month R799 Vodacom 20/10 Mbps 300GB with Once Off Activation Fee R899

Not Locked in a Contract and Good Speed 300 GB should be sufficient for most usage..

What is your current Speed / Data / Data Usage ?

Do you need Landline/Voice/VoIP ?

P00HB33R

Depends on so many factors its hard to say.

How much data do you use/need? Do you need a lot of bandwidth or not really?

Candystore

Month 2 Month R799 Vodacom 20/10 Mbps 300GB with Once Off Activation Fee R899

Not Locked in a Contract and Good Speed 300 GB should be sufficient for most usage..

What is your current Speed / Data / Data Usage ?

Do you need Landline/Voice/VoIP ?

So many questions! Thanks for helping.

1. So, if money is not an an issue (not because I am wealthy, but because the company pays!) is it better to take uncapped or is that just a waste? Where "20/10 Mbps" indicates speed, does it mean that 100/100 is the fastest?

2. I currently have a normal Telkom landline. Why/when is Voice or VoIP required?

3. My current Speed is download 10 and upload 3.9. Average data Usage p/month is approx 15GB.

Sopbeen

I am learning so much today :)

How do I know if I need a lot of bandwith?

You stated that your total usage per month is 15gb. This probably means that you don't require a lot of bandwidth.

Anyway - it depends on the way you use your connection. If you watch a lot of netflix, youtube or download a lot of torrents, you would most likely require a higher speed connection and/or uncapped usage.

If you only do office work, check emails and facebook - any speed will suffice. You will not notice the difference between 20mbit and 100mbit. And you will certainly not 'require' uncapped, as your total usage will fall within capped packages.

You can ask Vodacom to port your telkom land line number, so that you may use your old telkom number on your new fibre line. On ADSL your Voice and Data streams were separate. On Fibre, everything is data. So there is no dedicated voice channel. So if you do not make provision for voice (aka VOIP), you will not be able to make/receive calls to/from a dedicated number.

BigBear

Expert Member
So many questions! Thanks for helping.

1. So, if money is not an an issue (not because I am wealthy, but because the company pays!) is it better to take uncapped or is that just a waste? Where "20/10 Mbps" indicates speed, does it mean that 100/100 is the fastest?

2. I currently have a normal Telkom landline. Why/when is Voice or VoIP required?

3. My current Speed is download 10 and upload 3.9. Average data Usage p/month is approx 15GB.

20/10 Mbps means 20 Mbps Download and 10 Mbps Upload
Yes, 100/100 would be faster but more expensive if not needed.

Voice or Voice over IP (internet) would replace your Telkom landline and convert the voice signals to data sent over the Fibre Line.
If you do a lot of Telkom Landline calls for the business then you would need Voice or VoIP, but can also depend on what type of calls and business as you could use Skype for Business or similar type tools as well.

If you currently using 10 down and 5 up, 20/10 should more that be enough also Latency with Fibre is less.
So response times on webpages etc. will be quicker.
With 15 GB / month, 300 GB should be more than enough if usage should increase even.