Which printer brand should I avoid?

WeakQuinisha

I need to replace my Canon laser multi function printer. This was by far the worst one I ever owned. I rubbed my hands for all the money I would save on ink costs, but at R1500 per cartridge this did not pan out well. It doesn't matter if you set the toner to the "toner save", I have tested and it gives about the same yield. I am convinced it is pre programmed to go "empty" after a set time. And to top it all off, 8 months into ownership the printer refused to print because I needed to "prepare a new imaging unit".

Now I am looking at some Brother and Epson all in one inkjets, hopefully your experiences can guide me to buy a brand that does not give me the same headaches as the Canon lasers?

I print lots of homework and school activities for 3 kids, plus some photos.

Thanks

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Bite the bullet and get an entry level laserjet. Much less hassles. More price though.

Milano

Honorary Master
I need to replace my Canon laser multi function printer. This was by far the worst one I ever owned. I rubbed my hands for all the money I would save on ink costs, but at R1500 per cartridge this did not pan out well. It doesn't matter if you set the toner to the "toner save", I have tested and it gives about the same yield. I am convinced it is pre programmed to go "empty" after a set time. And to top it all off, 8 months into ownership the printer refused to print because I needed to "prepare a new imaging unit".

Now I am looking at some Brother and Epson all in one inkjets, hopefully your experiences can guide me to buy a brand that does not give me the same headaches as the Canon lasers?

Thanks

First go to the ink shop that sells generic ink like inkdrop or whatever and find out which is the cheapest inkjet all in one to run. Then check reviews, go buy that model, always buy the cheapest generic ink refills even if it voids the warranty since the printers cost nothing compared to the ink.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
I am in a similar position. I went with an Epson L3060 Ink Tank printer. Ink lasts a really long time. At least, compared to cartridges, it is chalk and cheese. Ink is also relatively inexpensive next to the same thing in cartridges.

We had a couple of HP printers with cartridges. Apart from the fact that the ink is quickly expended, they are just false economy. Spend a little more and get an entry or midway ink tank printer. It will prove its worth in time.

Sayf777

Expert Member
I am in a similar position. I went with an Epson L3060 Ink Tank printer. Ink lasts a really long time. At least, compared to cartridges, it is chalk and cheese. Ink is also relatively inexpensive next to the same thing in cartridges.

We had a couple of HP printers with cartridges. Apart from the fact that the ink is quickly expended, they are just false economy. Spend a little more and get an entry or midway ink tank printer. It will prove its worth in time.

I can second that same Epson. Print speed is slow but ink lasts quite abit.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
They're all crap. I've tried them all. Epson, Canon, Samsung, HP, inkjet, laserjet, colour laser. They're all designed to become very expensive paperweights after about 2 years.

rodga

Honorary Master
epson ink tank here too. Will never go back to cartridges

DTBA

Expert Member
Just go with Ink tank printer, just stay away from canon ink tank printers.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Just go with Ink tank printer, just stay away from canon ink tank printers.
I have a Canon ink tank, it is great so far... R130 for a bottle of black ink that prints 7000 pages

DTBA

Expert Member
I have a Canon ink tank, it is great so far... R130 for a bottle of black ink that prints 7000 pages

The pads were fine I double check them, I ask the canon tech in bloem why the printer gives me the error he told me canon uses page count

With epson you can do it yourself.

WeakQuinisha

Thanks, got the Epson L3060. Prints beautiful photos on glossy paper albeit slow but the economy mode print faster.

Antelope

Anyone with experience using a brother ink tank printers?

They advertise their older printers as being wifi direct compatible, so they should work to print from a phone without needing a wifi router,
Is this feature available on the ink. Tank printers as well?
(Epson does advertise this feature on some of their printers)

Totempole

Expert Member
Anyone with experience using a brother ink tank printers?

They advertise their older printers as being wifi direct compatible, so they should work to print from a phone without needing a wifi router,
Is this feature available on the ink. Tank printers as well?
(Epson does advertise this feature on some of their printers)

I've never tried using the WiFi on mine. I'll give it a try when I get the chance and post back my findings.

UPDATE: Just checked and mine definitely needs to connect to a router to work. The higher end models might be different though.

Last edited:

aedro

HP, continuously used up the ink, to self clean, bought Epson and happy and got R400 rebate.