Which wok to get?

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I bought a wok for about R250 at Builders, using it on gas. Wouldn't use a wok on anything else.

maumau

Honorary Master
A wok should be made of Carbon Steel. Buy the cheapest and nastiest one you can find from the Chinese Shops... Also no Teflon..
The thinner the wok, the better the conductivity of heat distribution. Cast iron, takes too long and if cools down slightly, you end up stewing everything.

Seasoning of your wok is very important. Look it up on YouTube.

I bought a wok from a Chinese shop about 8 years ago. R160. Still going strong and better non stick than any Teflon pan out there.

Good luck
Wasn't going to mention the carbon steel because of seasoning etc. but you are quite correct in that it's the wok of choice. Yuppiechef have a selection - the seasoning is holding me back because I've got 2 x carbon steel frying pans and my god I struggled.

One of the pans has become my absolute favourite - eventually.

P.S. as you say - @Akasha NEVER EVER Teflon.

3WA

Executive Member
Thanks for this - love Lodge but you're right about the prices. I've got just about every size dutch oven and skillet/pan except the HUMUNGOUS pot and the wok.

Lodge used to be available at Boardmans but that went pear shaped. Happy to hear it's available again and hope they stay in the country this time. Importing cast iron does not come cheap :)
I also got my first Lodge pieces at Boardmans :laugh:

I did treat myself to a big pan from Yuppiechef last month.

There's a store in Woodmead called Kitchenique that also has a few Lodge pieces.

maumau

Honorary Master
I also got my first Lodge pieces at Boardmans :laugh:

I did treat myself to a big pan from Yuppiechef last month.

There's a store in Woodmead called Kitchenique that also has a few Lodge pieces.
I know Kitchenique very well, it's a fantastic shop. Haven't been there for a while because it'll cost me a LOT. I am due for a visit though.

Reactions: 3WA