Whites Still Dominate Top Positions

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Whites still dominate South Africa's top management positions, a report by the Employment Equity Commission revealed on Thursday.

The 13th edition of the report shows whites constituted 72.6 percent of top management positions in the country last year, down from 81.5 percent in 2002.

The report reflects the public and private sectors.

Blacks occupied 12.3 percent of top management positions in 2012, compared to 10 percent in 2002.

Commission chairman Dr Loyiso Mzisi Mbabane handed the report to Labour Minister Mildred Oliphant during a Transformation Indaba in Boksburg, on the East Rand.

Coloureds occupied 4.6 percent of top management positions in 2012, compared to 3.4 percent in 2002; and In Indians 7.3 percent, from five percent.

The number of foreigners in top management positions in 2012 was 3.1 percent, compared to zero in 2002.

However, this was because the labour department started collecting this data only in 2006.

Mbabane expressed disappointment at the levels of transformation.

"It is unacceptable. This is not what you would expect, especially because we have a law," he said.

"If we did not have a law like the Employment Equity Act of 1998, you could say people are trying their luck and they are not understanding it, but you have a law that says specifically you must have a [employment equity] plan.".

The government had expected companies to be planning to have put into effect their employment equity plans by 2000.

"The two percent increase in black people occupying top management positions says that either we don't take those [employment equity] plans seriously, or we never took the act seriously. It is not acceptable," said Mbabane.

The report was compiled by the Employment Equity Commission using millions of employment equity reports from the public sector and private companies across all sectors of the South African economy.

Source : Sapa /pd/jk/clh/hdw
Date : 18 Apr 2013 14:09

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
This would not be the case if the ANC would have made education a top priority 20 years ago. :rolleyes:

Even now, they are still failing to deliver text books to learners, so whites will continue to dominate for many years to come.

If you want to transform the sector, then transform the people first.

saksakgp

Expert Member
So them whites are still in charge - not for long, at least in my world.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
So them whites are still in charge - not for long, at least in my world.

You going to find some people and educate them? :rolleyes:

I highly doubt that you yourself have the necessary qualifications to influence anybody in a management position! ;)

Maverick Jester

The Special One
This would not be the case if the ANC would have made education a top priority 20 years ago. :rolleyes:

Even now, they are still failing to deliver text books to learners, so whites will continue to dominate for many years to come.

If you want to transform the sector, then transform the people first.

You think that they would have come to this realisation some time ago... Oh well...

Monkey-typing.jpg

STS

Mafia Detective

I think it's extremely arrogant of Gary to make an assumption about you. He isn't a bad guy, he wants what is best for people, to be treated equally and fairly regardless of race and gender.

Just as it takes a generation to grow up, it takes a a long time for things to change. In 10 years we'll probably see some of the best managers we've ever had

STS

Mafia Detective
Hahahahahahaha, I'm watching Leon Schuster now and it's an old episode, it's still sometime before 1994 and he dressed up like a muslim, and all the old toppies are approaching him and telling him that he's trespassing, and some of them are wearing AWB shirts :p

The first guy to chat to him was very nice though, and was just giving him a warning :p

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I think it's extremely arrogant of Gary to make an assumption about you. He isn't a bad guy, he wants what is best for people, to be treated equally and fairly regardless of race and gender.

Just as it takes a generation to grow up, it takes a a long time for things to change. In 10 years we'll probably see some of the best managers we've ever had

Yeah, there's just one problem with this sob story.... I've had a chance to see the kind of crap this troll posts here. ;)

Mila

Honorary Master
It's changing. Must be hard to give over a company that you build up from the ground.
Is this small medium and large enterprise? Counting all the small two man businesses will make this figure distorted. Like someone pointed out Bee forced white people to start their own businesses.

You can't exactly fire whites and they are hanging on to jobs knowing how tough our employment market is.
The company I work for doesn't hire or promote white people, but you sit with management that has been with the company from 1980 something. These people are retiring soon/ within the next 5 years. The issue of giving these people early packages makes it difficult as it is a hefty sum to pay out. Rather mentor the next generation that will be there for 15 plus years.

wrathex

Expert Member
The stats indirectly reflect the critical importance of education.

Mbabane expressed disappointment at the levels of transformation.
"It is unacceptable. This is not what you would expect, especially because we have a law," he said.

Mbabane also missed the point, the law has nothing to do with the lack of education that makes so difficult to appoint people who do not have the skills to run/manage companies at a skill level that will ensure growth and profit. :erm:

saksakgp

Expert Member
Yeah, there's just one problem with this sob story.... I've had a chance to see the kind of crap this troll posts here. ;)

Do you want a hug? I run a business called HugHug, we specialize in giving hugs. Our clientele includes depressed people, loveless people, cyber ninjas and all others who feel in need of an occasional hug. We have special discount rates for DA stans because many of them are regular clients of HugHug. Buy one hug, get two squeezes for free. We have found that something needs to be squeezed out of them.

Albereth

Honorary Master
Do you want a hug? I run a business called HugHug, we specialize in giving hugs. Our clientele includes depressed people, loveless people, cyber ninjas and all others who feel in need of an occasional hug. We have special discount rates for DA stans because many of them are regular clients of HugHug. Buy one hug, get two squeezes for free. We have found that something needs to be squeezed out of them.

Well, that disputes the thread title then.

Hamster

Resident Rodent

Please post your advertising in the appropriate sub forum.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Why don't blacks start new companies?

It's hard work and extremely risky. I know I wouldn't want to do it unless I really had to. Much easier to force people that built up their businesses already to hand over partial/complete control. It's how the western world works these days.

Mila

Honorary Master
What makes you think they don't?

Likewise instead of blaming BEE, why don't you start YOUR own company? ;) have fun

be nice. he just asked a question.
@king.
It's the same as asking white people that complain about BEE why don't you get a different job or start a business.
IF everybody in the world was entrepreneurs the world would not be in this mess but some most people for that matter ( any color any sex ) is just cogs in the beeg old machine that is the rat race.
One of the big problems is, is that there is this culture under a younger generation that think each and everyone should be a superstar with out much work.

It should for one be easier for a black person to get a start-up( banks gives special loans to BEE start-ups) and I'm sure there are many. But dealing with manufacturing or labor in this country can cripple a start-up in the first year.

key. Education. But according to Angie there is nothing to worry about her no. 10 Jimmy Choo's are also delayed no worries. The kids don't need handbooks we lower the standard and everybody should pass without books.

and why do I say Education? Even if you are a BEE start up and can get a easy loan. You still need to be able to write a business plan to submit to the bank.