Why does Vumatel allow one ISP to block another?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
How does another ISP get involved when we have never had or applied for fibre previously ? Only Vumatel and Openserve in the area. Hmmm may be the evil Telkom is behind all this. They keep on phoning to ask us to migrate to their fibre.

It's easy really. I can now place an order with an ISP for a random address. As soon as their system places an order and calls me I can just say ohh wait let me talk to my ISP first because maybe I will cancel the order I'm not happy.

That order will be stuck on the system as "Scheduling attempted" until the ISP rejects that order to free up the address again. Since orders are placed via API in most cases it won't raise an alarm with the ISP that placed the order as an order is placed and the system will take it from there.

You can even in some cases have where your neighbor places an order using your address and by mistake the installers continue and installs at the correct address with this order. That will cause your address to be blocked from placing any other orders as there is an active service on that address.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
How does another ISP get involved when we have never had or applied for fibre previously ? Only Vumatel and Openserve in the area. Hmmm may be the evil Telkom is behind all this. They keep on phoning to ask us to migrate to their fibre.

If you go with Openserve since it's Aerial fibre you are likely to be installed within a couple of days. Once they install the ONT and leave the line is active.

dasdk

Wow ....I still have no idea who had a pending order on my line .....but I had a the same issue ....it somehow got resolved in 3days but it was a nightmare.....because vumatel refused to advise new isp (cool ideas) who had a “pending” order
And as @AfriNatic said ....their support just add fuel....

isie

Honorary Master
Or it could be one of you neighbours applied and put the wrong address (either in error or on purpose) then they applied again with their correct address, now the one on your address is stuck. Like i said numerous times Vumatel back office system is horrible and their staff just can't seem to say wait list me look at this, in my case once 2 ISP'S had to go to them and say please check we did our job then they quickly fixed it.

also if you have openserve as an option go with them - TBH they oddly much better as a FNO then they were on ADSL and some ISP's are actually cheaper on Openserve then they are on Vumatel.

Last edited:

lostfish

My reorder has been rejected again by Vumatel as my address is still not freed up. I've found out that it is Cell C that is holding up the works and not Telkom. Where to from here? I am reluctant to go with Openserve as it took two years to cancel my ADSL line with Telkom. The pole that has the Openserve cable on it is in my neighbour's garden but is leaning over so badly that it will take the wall down when it eventually falls over into my garden. We have complained, asked, begged Telkom for at least the past five years now to replace the pole. I have to prune around the cable as I'm afraid that if I disturb the bushes the whole thing will come crashing down. Openserve / Telkom, no, they had their chance to improve their service but they did not.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
My reorder has been rejected again by Vumatel as my address is still not freed up. I've found out that it is Cell C that is holding up the works and not Telkom. Where to from here? I am reluctant to go with Openserve as it took two years to cancel my ADSL line with Telkom. The pole that has the Openserve cable on it is in my neighbour's garden but is leaning over so badly that it will take the wall down when it eventually falls over into my garden. We have complained, asked, begged Telkom for at least the past five years now to replace the pole. I have to prune around the cable as I'm afraid that if I disturb the bushes the whole thing will come crashing down. Openserve / Telkom, no, they had their chance to improve their service but they did not.

Fibre is all ISP, so when you cancel the Openserve line with your ISP, the line is cancelled. I guess you will remain without fibre, since Vumatel systems is clearly also swak.

isie

Honorary Master
well you have 2 choices go with Openserve or battle to get this sorted with Vumatel.

maybe the @Cell_C rep can assist.

of course chances are Vuma will come back and say its with another ISP :)

Style

Hey guys...Ive had to deal with hopefully I can help someone else from pulling their hair out.

pop an email to cancellations@vumatel.co.za with your address in the subject line and explain you could like the line cleared for a new order, and they will respond usually the same day, clear the line and you are good to go. My email was replied to saying..."All clear, you can place your order in 2min." lol

Hope this helps someone :)

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Hey guys...Ive had to deal with hopefully I can help someone else from pulling their hair out.

pop an email to cancellations@vumatel.co.za with your address in the subject line and explain you could like the line cleared for a new order, and they will respond usually the same day, clear the line and you are good to go. My email was replied to saying..."All clear, you can place your order in 2min." lol

Hope this helps someone :)

It''s the best way especially if the new tenant is not the same person. A proof of residence is enough to get the address cleared in 2 or maybe 3 days max.

lostfish

After 4 months I finally got FTTH! It was all done within 24 hours.:)
Thanks @Style. I think your advice helped. I emailed Cell C, got a ticket numer and then nothing. Two weeks later it all started happening. Vumatel sent me an email, the installers were here 8 hours later and before they had left the Vumatel guys arrived to splice the fibre. All nicely done. Installer even asked if he could borrow a spirit level so that the CPE and wires were straight. The day after my fibre was up and running I got a response from Cell C asking for my ID number and then straight away before I could respond, they closed the query and marked it as resolved.