Why Tap Water Is Better

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Consumers waste billions each year on bottled water even though it's reported that as much as 40 percent of it comes from the tap in the first place! And believe it or not, bottled water also poses serious threats to your health and the environment.

The $60-billion global bottled water industry has grown rapidly in recent years, through clever marketing — which has made consumers believe that bottled water is safer and healthier.

In fact, tap water in most industrialised countries is actually safer and better for your health than anything that comes out of a bottle.

If you're in India you may find it's better to go the bottle route, but in South Africa (despite the rare case of mismanagement in rural communities), we have a pretty decent water system.

Health concerns

There has also been speculation recently that plastic bottles are dangerous due to the substance in plastic called Bisphenol A (BPA), which leaks into the water, usually when there is a change in temperature.

According to sciencedaily.com, "BPA is one of many man-made chemicals classified as endocrine disruptors, which alter the function of the endocrine system by mimicking the role of the body's natural hormones."

BPA therefore mimics the effects of oestrogen, and has raised particular concern because it interferes with hormone levels and cell signalling systems and elevates the risk of uterine fibroids, endometriosis, breast cancer, decreased sperm counts, and prostate cancer.

Plastic bottles that are boiled or put in the microwave or dishwasher are especially problematic because heating them repeatedly causes high amounts of BPA to leak out.

The production of bottled water causes environmental problems too. Producing the plastic bottles uses energy and emits toxic chemicals. Transporting the bottled water means more carbon dioxide, and in the end, empty bottles are dumped in landfills.

And in many cases, bottled water companies use the same underground water sources that small municipalities rely on, disrupting the water supply and in some cases unintentionally contaminating it.

How safe is tap water?

In developed countries, water boards are subject to stringent regulations and frequent testing to ensure that their water meets safety standards.

In South Africa, according to harmoniousliving.co.za, Rand Water (which supplies five of the country's nine provinces) produces water that meets guidelines established by the World Health Organisation.

Rand Water supplies the Free State, Gauteng, Mpumalanga, Limpopo and North West, and around 60 percent of industry in South Africa is supplied by Rand Water.

The Department of Water Affairs and Forestry's technical regulation director, Leonardo Manus, told BuaNews that according to guidelines issued by the World Health Organisation, South Africa compared favourable with countries such as Canada, which is a world leader in managing the quality of tap water.

Most of the water that Rand Water uses comes from an unpolluted source high in the Vaal River catchment area. Because it's naturally clean and pure, it doesn't need to be treated. The only thing that they have to do is regulate the mineral content to ensure that it stays in line with international standards.

Bottled water, on the other hand, often contains too many added minerals to be considered safe.

Karl Lubout, manager of water quality marketing at Rand Water, disagrees with those who think it is healthier to drink bottled water.

"In tests people cannot distinguish between bottled water and tap water — and there is no health benefit to drinking bottled water," he says.

Bottled water is thousands of times more expensive than tap water, creates mountains of needless garbage and contributes to other environmental problems. So no matter which way you look at it, drinking tap water makes more sense for your health, the environment, and your pocket!

Source: iAfrica

What do you guys rate? I fridge & filter, personally, and can't stand the taste of tap water. At least not the tap water here. It smells like pool water (chlorine) and tastes equally vile. I'd pick bottled water any day - as long as it tastes like water :p

DJ...

Banned
I drink both in large quantities. I only drink bottled water if I am out and about and there is no beer or whiskey available :D

I certainly wouldnt buy bottled water to drink at home - that is a waste. Our tap water is one of the best I have ever tasted, and I have done a fair amount of travelling. We are fortunate to have this privilege. Many 1st world countries (particularly European) have barely comparable water quality to that of ours...

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
Yeah, some parts in SA have some really nice-tasting tap water... But here - Bellville, or at least my part of Bellville - it stinks of chlorine :sick:

I'm in love with Pepsi, personally :D Can't stand alcohol... icky pooh :p :p :p

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Yeah, some parts in SA have some really nice-tasting tap water... But here - Bellville, or at least my part of Bellville - it stinks of chlorine :sick:

I'm in love with Pepsi, personally :D Can't stand alcohol... icky pooh :p :p :p

icky pooh? The kiddies forum is at pooky.co.za :p :D j/k

When I'm on the road I prefer Valpre still water and not saying that I drink water very often, but when I do - its Valpre for me. Bonaqua se moer!

That being said - absolutely nothing wrong with the tap water that I've come across in the Southern Suburbs, Town or Table View area - never drank the stuff in Bellville :)

Last edited:

DJ...

Banned
Cant stand Pepsi or any other carbonated, sugar-filled, acesulfameK filled, aspartame filled, chemically flavoured water...:sick: Unless of course it is mixed with a good quality vodka, brandy or rum...:p

LancelotSA

Banned
Cant stand Pepsi or any other carbonated, sugar-filled, acesulfameK filled, aspartame filled, chemically flavoured water...:sick: Unless of course it is mixed with a good quality vodka, brandy or rum...:p

I was fooled into the marketing the other day and bought myself a Coke Zero as I thought it would be so much healthier than the usual sugar boost I get from Coke... I was appalled to discover that the sugar was merely replaced by Aspartame!! I suppose I should have known it would have to be something like that. And they try to make out it is a healthier alternative. I think I'll rather take my chances with the sugar again!!

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
I was fooled into the marketing the other day and bought myself a Coke Zero as I thought it would be so much healthier than the usual sugar boost I get from Coke... I was appalled to discover that the sugar was merely replaced by Aspartame!! I suppose I should have known it would have to be something like that. And they try to make out it is a healthier alternative. I think I'll rather take my chances with the sugar again!!

Was a bit disappointed to find that myself. Can taste the aspartame in the after taste. Rumour has it that it's been linked with brain tumours and the like?

@ DJK - Pfff :p I'll have you know that Pepsi is... *cough* "da bomb" :)

killadoob

Honorary Master
Our tap water in randburg is nasty stuff thats white most of the time, my fiancee's parents tap water in alberton is just lovely :)

Please i can see how these companies operate, selling tap water in a bottle more than likely just as clever as making nicotine so addictive and paying hollywood stars millions to make it popular.

Hot_Chocolate

Expert Member
our tap water at home doesn't taste nice. Sometimes it is white, other times there is sand in it (seen it when running the bath). We have a water filter at home that we use. I do not see the point in buying bottled water. I consider it a waste of money.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
I never really understood why people felt the need to buy bottled water. Just open up the tap FFS. People are so pretentious. Do they think they are of a higher social status/class if they buy bottled water? Sounds like a case of people thinking that they **** ice-cream.

DDV TECH

Expert Member
I never really understood why people felt the need to buy bottled water. Just open up the tap FFS. People are so pretentious. Do they think they are of a higher social status/class if they buy bottled water? Sounds like a case of people thinking that they **** ice-cream.

A bit harsh? I buy bottled water when traveling, because it’s convenient, and I drink only bottled water in the rest of Africa, I do not think I **** ice-cream, although that would be nice also. Valpre bonaqua, whatever all the same, they go thru either a micro filtration or reverse osmosis filter system, sometimes they have to add minerals to both because of the high filtration, valpre comes from a bore whole and bonaqua comes from rand water, but both gets filtered. My best advice is to get an under counter RO filter for one tap, then fill bottles of water for drinking from that tap and place in freezer.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
A bit harsh? I buy bottled water when traveling, because it’s convenient, and I drink only bottled water in the rest of Africa, I do not think I **** ice-cream, although that would be nice also. Valpre bonaqua, whatever all the same, they go thru either a micro filtration or reverse osmosis filter system, sometimes they have to add minerals to both because of the high filtration, valpre comes from a bore whole and bonaqua comes from rand water, but both gets filtered. My best advice is to get an under counter RO filter for one tap, then fill bottles of water for drinking from that tap and place in freezer.

Lol. I can understand when you are on the road or travelling but for people who are at home to be regularly buying... that I don't get.

DDV TECH

Expert Member
Lol. I can understand when you are on the road or travelling but for people who are at home to be regularly buying... that I don't get.

No for sure, I think the water companies have some Microsoft types working in their marketing departments…smoke and mirrors….BUT I do believe that it is beneficial to place additional filtering on your drinking water at home; unless you of coarse completely trust government to not accidently slip you some ecoli or some other harmful pathogen ?

mercurial

MyBB Legend
No for sure, I think the water companies have some Microsoft types working in their marketing departments…smoke and mirrors….BUT I do believe that it is beneficial to place additional filtering on your drinking water at home; unless you of coarse completely trust government to not accidently slip you some ecoli or some other harmful pathogen ?

Agreed.

Vegeta

Executive Member
Why would a filter stop ecoli? or other bacteria? It wont, reverse osmosis maybe

DDV TECH

Expert Member
Why would a filter stop ecoli? or other bacteria? It wont, reverse osmosis maybe

Well if you took the time to read the posts before commenting, you would have seen that RO is exactly what I suggest. :)