Why you don’t always need a powerful processor for your PC

Thor

Honorary Master
I would like to see an article where you use a vast collection of everyday software all the way to specialized software and then break them down into catagories as to what components plays the biggest role - Ram, CPU, GPU, HDD/SSD etc.

That would be something I would gladly share all over the social media sphere.

ponder

Honorary Master
I would like to see an article where you use a vast collection of everyday software all the way to specialized software and then break them down into catagories as to what components plays the biggest role - Ram, CPU, GPU, HDD/SSD etc.

That would be something I would gladly share all over the social media sphere.
If you look online you'll find benchmarks that will predict most software behavior.

Right now we got bigger issues in the world, I'm trying to eat a piece of snoek and i so wish they could genetically modify that fish to the point of having no bones!

Magnum

Expert Member
If you look online you'll find benchmarks that will predict most software behavior.

Right now we got bigger issues in the world, I'm trying to eat a piece of snoek and i so wish they could genetically modify that fish to the point of having no bones!
You are cooking it wrong.

Vio

Expert Member
Well I'm running a 1080Ti and I'm struggling to get decent fps @1440p 144hz because of my processor bottle-necking.

When you are used to 144hz 144fps everything below 80-90fps looks like low performance stuttering.

garyc

Expert Member
Most of my work is in the professional category that is given in the article. There may be some software that can run on a Pentium, but I have not used it personally. For lighter work work it is better to use something in the i3 to i7 range, depending on the requirements. Generally the amount of RAM is at least as important as the processor.

Intel’s unlocked processors (designated with a “K ” at the end of the model number) are useful for consumers requiring fast clock speeds and high processor performance across almost all tasks.
Very bad consumer advice. The more intensive runs can take many hours to complete while the system is maxed out to 100%. This is where one actually needs a Xeon based system. They are made to sustain this workload reliably, while the consumer systems are not. Most of the processor or motherboard failures that I have seen in general are due to people thinking that an i7 is a good idea for a high-end workstation.

Pitbull

Verboten
Well I'm running a 1080Ti and I'm struggling to get decent fps @1440p 144hz because of my processor bottle-necking.

When you are used to 144hz 144fps everything below 80-90fps looks like low performance stuttering.
That is utterly program dependant. I highly doubt a lot of gamers need massive top of the range CPUs for gaming. People game in 4k with i5 processors.

wizardofid

Executive Member
While the CPU performance required for professional workloads varies depending on task, many workstation PCs would perform better with a more powerful graphics card than an overclocked, quad-core or octa-core processor.
Wait what ? Seriously didn't do your homework here.

Professional workstation require less GPU power the CPU power, in fact the more powerful the CPU the better.While there is some GPU usage, it isn't nearly as demanding as gaming for example. 3D modeling for example, can be done on on-broad graphics no problem, there will be some performance issues here and there.

However 3d modeling isn't just isolated to just the modeling software as it requires an entire suite of software for a completed workflow.

Workflows for professionals contain, among others, 3D app, photoshop/gimp ect and an external 3d rendering app, like Marmoset toolbag, which renders content often at full detail, meaning an 3d asset may contain 300k or more polygons, before, ambient occlusion and additional normals are baked and rendered, which requires, both a beefy GPU and CPU.

Even CAD workstations would require decent performance.Graphics designers usually have to do some 3d rendering, pending the task that needs to be done and rarely it is just one software suite in use, it's far less reliant on the GPU then the CPU, once a graphic designer starts applying filters in photoshop you wish you had a 4 or more core CPU under the hood than a GPU that is going to sit idle 50% of the time.

Seriously ill informed writer.