Why you don't need a mouse to use a PC

maeztro

Subjective and objective experiences?

Many years ago, objective tests has shown that the use of the mouse is much faster than using the keyboard. This is however dependent on proper coding of the interface.

Functions used most often, should be placed in the largest and most accessible space on the screen. And this is the spot directly under the mouse cursor. Seems obvious, but functions that are used most often, should be placed whereever the mouse cursor is currently located.

The second most accessible space is the sides of the screen; top, bottom, left and right. In Win 7, only the top and bottom is used effectively.

spiff

Expert Member
BS!

try designing a car or house without a mouse with CAD software

or generate tool paths in a CAM package without a mouse!

ekske1

Executive Member
Why you don't need a mouse to use a PC

Motherboard's Daniel Oberhaus recently spent a week without a mouse, using only keyboard shortcuts to navigate his computer interface.

Oberhaus found that it took some time to memorise important keyboard shortcuts such as pressing Ctrl + Tab to switch between browser tabs and Win + R to open the Run interface in Windows.
Don't need a mouse to install an OS or screen* for that. Of course the-now-kids haven't really used PCs without a mouse... right?

*leet skills required to install without screen.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
That was a week well spent

Next week, drive your car without the gear stick and tell us your experience, Dan

ekske1

Executive Member
That was a week well spent

Next week, drive your car without the gear stick and tell us your experience, Dan
Actually you can and it is called

1. Switching gears from the steering wheel
2. Automatic car

saor

Honorary Master
BS!

try designing a car or house without a mouse with CAD software

or generate tool paths in a CAM package without a mouse!
Article never implied it was better to do such things without a mouse...
However, actions such as navigating forums through hyperlinked text and editing images in Photoshop were made much harder without a mouse.
Article was really just making the trivial point that an o/s can be navigated without a mouse.

Mist4h20

But he doesn't mention that you can right click with the button left of right control.. Pointless article

saor

Honorary Master
Now please get us the tech that allows us to interface without having to manipulate pieces of plastic with our monkeypaws, thx.

saor

Honorary Master
Touch screen.
Not for a screen that's upright on my desk - I ain't holding my arms up for 6 hours a day. Also super fiddly for interfaces with loads of small icons and input fields etc.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Who... TF cares about Daniel's opinion? So much that it becomes an article???
I forgot my mouse at home for this whole week... am I going to write an article about it? #### no.