WIFI extender recommendation

CapeTownchic86

Hi

Can someone recommend a good but not too expensive wifi extender please. There are too many on takealot so I'm not sure which one to go for.

We are with openserve. Our house isnt extremely huge, so the wifi router is near the back of the house and in the front of the house signal is weak in certain spots only.

So I want to get a strong signal throughout the house.

We have 2 router box things - one is nokia and the other box is a mweb fibre wr7010

Last edited:

greg0205

Honorary Master
Hi

Can someone recommend a good but not too expensive wifi extender please. There are too many on takealot so I'm not sure which one to go for.

We are with openserve. Our house isnt extremely huge, so the wifi router is near the back of the house and in the front of the house signal is weak in certain spots only.

So I want to get a strong signal throughout the house.
If your budget permits, get a mesh instead... Look at the Decos from TP-Link

Extenders are garbage IMO.

Speedster

Honorary Master

greg0205

Honorary Master
@greg0205 thanks for the reply. Could you just explain what decos are? I've never heard of it and what they do compared to wifi extender please
Sure.

Think of Decos as a network of access points around your house. There's one, unified, wifi network. You connect to the node closest to you, and the nodes hand you off to different nodes as you move around the house... You can extend your network by adding additional nodes.

The nodes can be connected to each other via cable, or if that's not an option, they connect to each other wirelessly.

Your speed should be pretty good wherever you are around the house.

Plug and play.

Extenders connect wirelessly to your router, then broadcast their own ssid, You switch networks from the router to the extender as you move... I've always found them to be spotty at best, but terrible generally.

Last edited:

OCP

Expert Member
I would only use an extender if there was absolutely no possible way to install a network cable for an additional access point.

And even then I would make it very clear these extenders are temperamental.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master

furpile

Expert Member
@greg0205 thanks for the reply. Could you just explain what decos are? I've never heard of it and what they do compared to wifi extender please
If the mesh system is out of your budget, you can just get a cheap wifi router and use it as an access point. You will need a network cable from your main router to this one, and then set it to AP mode. Then you can set the wifi to use the same settings as your main wifi network (but on a different channel).

I have used some of these to increase coverage. Much cheaper than a mesh system. Works great if you don't need high wifi speeds (just normal streaming/browsing, not sure how fast these will go).

Speedster

Honorary Master
Had a guest house with walls so dense there was ZERO signal penetration.
Interference from nearby building (eg. blocks of flats) is also an issue.

sometimes cabling is the only option ;-)
Yes, cabling is always the best option. But if you're cabling you might as well cable to a node rather than an extender.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
If the mesh system is out of your budget, you can just get a cheap wifi router and use it as an access point. You will need a network cable from your main router to this one, and then set it to AP mode. Then you can set the wifi to use the same settings as your main wifi network (but on a different channel).

I have used some of these to increase coverage. Much cheaper than a mesh system. Works great if you don't need high wifi speeds (just normal streaming/browsing, not sure how fast these will go).

I know why you posted that but jirre....

That's not a solution that's friendly for non techies

AfricanTech

Honorary Master

Wifi 5 is the old AC and Wifi 6 is AX.
Duh! - no one refers to WiFi 5 - why you confusing the OP - imagine they walk into a shop and ask for WiFi 5? I shudder at the kuk the salespeople will spout....

Besides, that's just bad advice - a new WiFi router is nowhere near as effective as a MESH system.