WiFi hotspot with controlled internet access

ipodmusicman

Hi folks,

Trying to explain what I need in a short title was just nearly impossible, but this is what I need to do.

At our family holiday home, our internet is served using a fixed LTE connection. This basically consists of the standard Huawei router which I'll refer to as the main router. Works very well and it is amazing to see how our internet speeds have improved over the years in Port Edward, KZN.

Right, when the family gets together, all the cousins enjoy playing together on their iPads and enjoy playing Minecraft together. The great thing about Minecraft is that you don't need the internet to play locally. Last year and in previous years, we had to restrict the iPads connectivity otherwise they'd go onto YouTube or start playing games requiring a lot of data and BAM, there goes our data and we end up having to top up. We ended up putting a phone into hotspot mode with no to little data loaded and that worked fine, but it just isn't practical.

This year, I plan to take up an old WiFi router to act as a hotspot (this is a Huawei B683) which will work fine for local use,, but what I want to do is if I need to allow them to use the internet, whether it is to do an app update or something small, I want to simply plug in a short LAN cable from the "hotspot router" to the main router. And no, although the hotspot router is a 3G router, I do not want to have to have another SIM card with data on it, so don't even think of suggesting that.

I've been trying to get something like this to work here at home, but not succeeding. This is what I am faced with. In order for the "hotspot" to work, the router's DHCP server has to be enabled. What I did was set the router's IP address as 192.168.1.60 and only allow the DHCP server to assign IPs from 161 to 180. The plan is to also restrict the main router's DHCP to only assign IPs from, say 2 to 100 or something like that so that the two routers don't assign the same IPs. The idea is that the hotspot router will assign IPs for the kids iPads and the main router will assign IPs to the adults phones, laptops, etc.

That didn't work.

I found that when I connected my phone to the main router, the DHCP server on the hotspot router assigned the IP address. And secondly, although I had a LAN cable plugged in between the two routers, still no internet at the hotspot router. I have a suspicion that this complicates matters and that I might need to do something out of the ordinary to get this to work. I see that the hotspot router does support static routes, so not sure if that would work? Not sure how to set that up though.

Do you perhaps have a suggestion on how I can get this to work? In summary, I need to do the following:

1. Separate SSID for the kids.
2. Must be able to allow or deny internet access by simply plugging / unplugging a LAN cable.
3. I want to use what I have. Yeah, it would be cool if I had proper network gear to create VLANs, but that is just not an option.

Any ideas?

marioat1

Expert Member
Hi folks,

Trying to explain what I need in a short title was just nearly impossible, but this is what I need to do.

At our family holiday home, our internet is served using a fixed LTE connection. This basically consists of the standard Huawei router which I'll refer to as the main router. Works very well and it is amazing to see how our internet speeds have improved over the years in Port Edward, KZN.

Right, when the family gets together, all the cousins enjoy playing together on their iPads and enjoy playing Minecraft together. The great thing about Minecraft is that you don't need the internet to play locally. Last year and in previous years, we had to restrict the iPads connectivity otherwise they'd go onto YouTube or start playing games requiring a lot of data and BAM, there goes our data and we end up having to top up. We ended up putting a phone into hotspot mode with no to little data loaded and that worked fine, but it just isn't practical.

This year, I plan to take up an old WiFi router to act as a hotspot (this is a Huawei B683) which will work fine for local use,, but what I want to do is if I need to allow them to use the internet, whether it is to do an app update or something small, I want to simply plug in a short LAN cable from the "hotspot router" to the main router. And no, although the hotspot router is a 3G router, I do not want to have to have another SIM card with data on it, so don't even think of suggesting that.

I've been trying to get something like this to work here at home, but not succeeding. This is what I am faced with. In order for the "hotspot" to work, the router's DHCP server has to be enabled. What I did was set the router's IP address as 192.168.1.60 and only allow the DHCP server to assign IPs from 161 to 180. The plan is to also restrict the main router's DHCP to only assign IPs from, say 2 to 100 or something like that so that the two routers don't assign the same IPs. The idea is that the hotspot router will assign IPs for the kids iPads and the main router will assign IPs to the adults phones, laptops, etc.

That didn't work.

I found that when I connected my phone to the main router, the DHCP server on the hotspot router assigned the IP address. And secondly, although I had a LAN cable plugged in between the two routers, still no internet at the hotspot router. I have a suspicion that this complicates matters and that I might need to do something out of the ordinary to get this to work. I see that the hotspot router does support static routes, so not sure if that would work? Not sure how to set that up though.

Do you perhaps have a suggestion on how I can get this to work? In summary, I need to do the following:

1. Separate SSID for the kids.
2. Must be able to allow or deny internet access by simply plugging / unplugging a LAN cable.
3. I want to use what I have. Yeah, it would be cool if I had proper network gear to create VLANs, but that is just not an option.

Any ideas?
Just put Lan cable into lan1 port on primary router and into Wan on the kids router.

That way there's only data in kids router when cable connected

ipodmusicman

Interesting, so what I should do is find a router with a WAN port, plug it into the actual router and voila! I should have net access?