WiFi Mesh system that can do 100Mbps+

Supersoaker

Expert Member
Good morning my fellow members, I have a client who received a router from Afrihost (D-link piece of k@k), the guy who installed everything told him to buy a "more" expensive router as this would resolve his problem but gave no recommendations.

It's a single story house and has 7 rooms so there's quite a few walls. I've had CAT6 cable installed from the front to the back of the house, the client has 100/100Mbps Premium from Afrihost.

Aside from a mesh system I've had a look into Ubiquiti network devices but the price can climb once you add in all the bells and whistles.

TLDR: I'm searching for a WiFi Mesh system that can do 100Mbps via WiFi.

powermzii

Expert Member
What is the budget? In terms of Unifi devices you can mix and match - you don't HAVE to go Ubiquiti all-in - its preferable but you can still use the D-Link as the main router (switch off Wifi) then just get Ubnt access points since there is CAT6 in the house - then just run the controller software in the cloud or on a home PC at the premises

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
What is the budget? In terms of Unifi devices you can mix and match - you don't HAVE to go Ubiquiti all-in - its preferable but you can still use the D-Link as the main router (switch off Wifi) then just get Ubnt access points since there is CAT6 in the house - then just run the controller software in the cloud or on a home PC at the premises

This advice is sound.

Post pics of house layout and distance from end to end

Probably be able to get away with a 3 pack AC - Lite

MEIOT

Expert Member
Have a 4 node airties setup - migrated from the nuances and complexity of unifi (Switch/USG/Controller/AC-AP's) - to a mesh setup. Couldn't be happier. Goes way beyond 100Mb/s on my AC wifi connections

That being said - I'm still a massive Unifi fan

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Wireless in the wild is not that easy to guarantee an exact throughput.

powermzii

Expert Member
Have a 4 node airties setup - migrated from the nuances and complexity of unifi (Switch/USG/Controller/AC-AP's) - to a mesh setup. Couldn't be happier. Goes way beyond 100Mb/s on my AC wifi connections

That being said - I'm still a massive Unifi fan

What speed internet connection do you have? I have a 3-node Airties setup and it works decently but im let down by my Telkom LTE which maxes out at 40Mb only at night

MEIOT

Expert Member
What speed internet connection do you have? I have a 3-node Airties setup and it works decently but im let down by my Telkom LTE which maxes out at 40Mb only at night
I have a 100/10. Getting full speeds on all my AC devices. Only n devices I have are home automation stuff that doesn't need high speeds. These airties are quite awesome - they certainly outperform my Unifi setup - though, saying that I did enable DPI on the USG when it was inline which did affect speeds.

I see the speed benefits more so for copying data from device to device - like my NAS to my gaming PC. Gives me more accurate wireless speeds than the internet connection because that will always max out at 100Mb/s no matter what. Seeing LAN comparative speeds copying data is impressive.

Unifi get's expensive and fast too.

Last edited:

powermzii

Expert Member
I have a 100/10. Getting full speeds on all my AC devices. Only n devices I have are home automation stuff that doesn't need high speeds. These airties are quite awesome - they certainly outperform my Unifi setup - though, saying that I did enable DPI on the USG when it was inline which did affect speeds.

I see the speed benefits more so for copying data from device to device - like my NAS to my gaming PC. Gives me more accurate wireless speeds than the internet connection because that will always max out at 100Mb/s no matter what. Seeing LAN comparative speeds copying data is impressive.

Unifi get's expensive and fast too.

Actually now that you mention it - i also get 100+ Mb/s when i copy files to my NAS over WiFi o the 3-node setup.

My only gripe with them is lack of updates for firmware and some features are missing (VLANs for SSIDs etc) but yes they are solid

JasonK

Don’t forget about the new unifi dream machine... USG, switch, cloud key and nano HD AP in one... very easy to get one of those then upgrade with an AC lite as needed in the other end of the house?