WiFi range extender questions

I have an ASUS DSL AC52U dual band WiFi router. It is set up at one end of the house where the Telkom landline comes in to the house. There are 3 PC’s in the house, two connected wirelessly and one with a cable.

I have bought a new WiFi enabled printer but the only place that is practical to set it up is in a spare room on the other end of the house from the router. The signal at the printer is very weak and intermittent. Moving the printer closer to the router resolves the issues, so it is definitely a weak signal issue.

So, I am considering the option of a WiFi range extender to boost the signal to the printer. I am worried about how this might affect the rest of the WiFi signal though. For example, the 3 PC’s are often used for online gaming where ping/lag is always an issue. Will this make it worse, or not affect it at all? I suppose I could just turn the range extender on when we need to print, keeping it off most of the time.

I am looking at an ASUS dual band extender RP-AC52 that simply plugs into the wall for around R750. I really don’t want to spend more than that. Or could I get a single (2,4) band extender for this purpose, which is probably a bit cheaper?

Another question on this:does the range extender create a new network? So the PC’s will be connected to one network and the printer to another. I think this would be a problem?

Last edited:

Speedster

Executive Member
Printer is most likely 2.4ghz so the cheaper extender should be fine. The extender won't have any effect on the devices connecting directly to the router. Also, when placing the extender, don't place it next to the printer - try to place it in an area with strong signal (although obviously not too far away from the printer).

You can monitor signal strength using an app called Wi-Fi analyzer

Tokolosk

Another question on this:does the range extender create a new network? So the PC’s will be connected to one network and the printer to another. I think this would be a problem?
I'm also interested in this part of the question. If it is the case then it is fine for stationary PC's/smart devices but it would be annoying for smartphones. Does the range extender keep it in the same network?

ISP cash cow

Expert Member
https://www.takealot.com/tp-link-av...VBrDtCh0JJA3GEAQYAiABEgJyQ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Get a powerline wifi extender. You plug the main extender into a plug near your router and put a lan cable directly into it and then you can put the actual extender into another plug somewhere else in the house. It will stay on the same wifi network as your current router and give you the reach to the other side of the house that you need.

I have one for my son's room and it works a charm

Speedster

Executive Member
https://www.takealot.com/tp-link-av...VBrDtCh0JJA3GEAQYAiABEgJyQ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Get a powerline wifi extender. You plug the main extender into a plug near your router and put a lan cable directly into it and then you can put the actual extender into another plug somewhere else in the house. It will stay on the same wifi network as your current router and give you the reach to the other side of the house that you need.

I have one for my son's room and it works a charm
These typically work well, although only with plugs in the same circuit. They might not be optimal in a home with multiple plug circuits.

isie

Executive Member
These typically work well, although only with plugs in the same circuit. They might not be optimal in a home with multiple plug circuits.
Set it up by my dad on different phases on a 3 phase , worked fine no issues