• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

WiFi without line

Flake012

Hi. I'd like to know if it's possible to have wifi without having to install a phone line. Vodacom offered me this deal for a wifi router but will I need a line for that?

If it is possible to have wifi without a line then what is the best option to go for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

JJCT

Expert Member
Hi. I'd like to know if it's possible to have wifi without having to install a phone line. Vodacom offered me this deal for a wifi router but will I need a line for that?

If it is possible to have wifi without a line then what is the best option to go for.

Thanks.
Yes it's SIM card based, some routers also have a USB port that you can plug a 3G dongle/modem in.

JJCT

Expert Member
What I would do is get a ADSL router with 3G/4G failover in case you chose to get a line installed in the future.

Crowley

Executive Member
Yes it is possible. You dont need to go with Vodacom though, search for a WISP (wireless internet service provider) in your area and see what they have to offer.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Thanks.
Can buy the same from Telkom (mobile data, LTE, no line) as what Vodacom is offering you for much cheaper generally, if you have coverage.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Yes there are quite a few options available now. Telkom, Vodacom, MTN and cell C, plus WISPs.

The choice is yours to make.

ADSL or VDSL with wireless failover.

Last edited: