Will Huawei ever get passed GMS ?

Dolby

Honorary Master
I'm thinking of getting someone at work to bring me a M30P from Dubai later this week ... but I'm still undecided as it's a whack of money. However after M10P and M20P, I'm really keen on this phone (and camera!) - but the GMS/HMS worries me. That said, I'm keen on trying it out myself and checking how easy / difficult it'll be to use locally.

HMS doesn't seem bad - but I also think there are 3rd party app stores which give close to full functionality?
It's got full Android anyway - so assuming getting a store on the phone is the biggest issue?
I also keep hearing about US license 'grace' period being extended - guessing this excludes GMS?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I'm thinking of getting someone at work to bring me a M30P from Dubai later this week ... but I'm still undecided as it's a whack of money. However after M10P and M20P, I'm really keen on this phone (and camera!) - but the GMS/HMS worries me. That said, I'm keen on trying it out myself and checking how easy / difficult it'll be to use locally.

HMS doesn't seem bad - but I also think there are 3rd party app stores which give close to full functionality?
It's got full Android anyway - so assuming getting a store on the phone is the biggest issue?
I also keep hearing about US license 'grace' period being extended - guessing this excludes GMS?
Hi
Suggest you hold on a couple of weeks. I think by then we will see some non-GMS devices in ZA and we can see the real impact for ourselves.

jman

Expert Member
Without actually having a device to play around with in real world scenarios, it's hard to say what the practical implications will be. Maybe workarounds are really easy and there's little impact on day-to-day usage of the device. That's what I'm hoping for

Tcyte

Without actually having a device to play around with in real world scenarios, it's hard to say what the practical implications will be. Maybe workarounds are really easy and there's little impact on day-to-day usage of the device. That's what I'm hoping for
I agree with you.. Its worth a shot although I would experiment with an entry level device not a flagship

ThaGombami

Guess the proof is in the pudding the only way to test the work arounds and see how compatible it is to our South African ecosystem. On a personal level I am hoping there is a solution through HMS because the hardware is just over top to go waste

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member

The nerd in me says just go for it and figure out the rest when you get it part of being an enthusiast is just jumping in and dabbling!
This guy seems to be getting on fine:

Dolby

Honorary Master
He he when do you think you will get it
This week if I want someone to bring it with them ... otherwise I can still get it - but there's shipping / couriers etc involved

Dolby

Honorary Master
I agree with you.. Its worth a shot although I would experiment with an entry level device not a flagship
Thing is they only have this out now - and then the P40 next month :(

I'd definitely get something cheaper if there was .

Dolby

Honorary Master
The nerd in me says just go for it and figure out the rest when you get it part of being an enthusiast is just jumping in and dabbling!
Thanks - will check out the videos.

Yea quite a while back someone told me of audio that rather buy / sell and experience 1st hand - as opposed to reviews and videos. You do lose, but you gain experience. That's why I was doing with audio stuff ... but I have got sick of losing so much :p

ThaGombami

I commend your enthusiasm man but I have a feeling it will work out and when p40 drops we will be heated up to grab it

Dolby

Honorary Master
Phone is at the office ... so I guess I'll soon see what I can and can't do.

EDIT : I'm not at the office - but will see if I can make a stop through

Dolby

Honorary Master
I commend your enthusiasm
hehe.

Thanks - my history with the Mate series doesn't extend as far as some - I've only had the M10P and M20P.

They were fantastic phones and I loved the camera on them - so hoping this will improve. I went to Latvia, Malta and Rome with the M20P and there were shots that no one else in the group could take - so I guess that's my primary reason for wanting to try it out. That said, I guess it is a gamble if nothing works, but it was a calculated risk.

Holding thumbs

ThaGombami

Any word
hehe.

Thanks - my history with the Mate series doesn't extend as far as some - I've only had the M10P and M20P.

They were fantastic phones and I loved the camera on them - so hoping this will improve. I went to Latvia, Malta and Rome with the M20P and there were shots that no one else in the group could take - so I guess that's my primary reason for wanting to try it out. That said, I guess it is a gamble if nothing works, but it was a calculated risk.

Holding thumbs
Eagerly anticipating the arrival of your device dude can't wait to hear more about HMS from a South African user and am sure it will be insightful with regards to apps that affect us, maybe you must do an unboxing video. I am as excited

Dolby

Honorary Master
Any word

Eagerly anticipating the arrival of your device dude can't wait to hear more about HMS from a South African user and am sure it will be insightful with regards to apps that affect us, maybe you must do an unboxing video. I am as excited
Got it :)

Collected it... But haven't had time to play yet

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Got it :)

Collected it... But haven't had time to play yet
Congratulations! Looking forward to your thoughts on it.
How is that stunning Waterfall Display versus previous curved ones?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Congratulations! Looking forward to your thoughts on it.
How is that stunning Waterfall Display versus previous curved ones?
Sorry - been a rush over the past few days ... I went away for the weekend and had little signal. I'll start a new thread and update it as I go along ...

Regarding the waterfall display, I seem to hold the phone wrong and touch it often. But that seems to be me a 'me' issue than an issue and I need to hold phones correctly, hehe ! My index fingers touch the side of the screen ... which causes an issue with touch

1582450933461.png

Dolby

Honorary Master
So I've had the phone for a few days now and thusfar, haven't needed to physically side load anything.

The best way for me was downloading Aptoide (https://en.aptoide.com) and running that as a separate store. Everything I have is downloaded from there and appears to work 100%. Two apps gave me errors at the start about Google Services (AirBNB and TheEntertainer), but I could still browse ... I just couldn't use the maps. So far not as bad as I though - will still try a few more apps this evening that I really need though !

Huawei GalleryAptoideNote
WhatsAppYesYes (Trusted)
ChromeNoYes (Trusted)
InstagramNoYes (Trusted)
FacebookYesYes (Trusted)
Facebook MessengerNoYes (Trusted)
News24YesYes (Trusted)
MyBroadband NoYes (Trusted)
XE CurrencyYesYes (Trusted)
EskomSePushYesYes (Trusted)
DropboxNoYes (Trusted)
AirBNBYesYes (Trusted)Google Services - No Maps
The Entertainer YesYes (Trusted)Google Services - No Maps
SnapSeedNoYes (Trusted)
22SevenYesYes (Trusted)
WazeNoYes (Trusted)
RainBirdNoYes
SpotifyYesYes (Trusted)
EZVIZNoYes (Trusted)
eWeLinkNoYes (Trusted)
BlueOSNoYes (Trusted)

Dolby

Honorary Master
So I've had the phone for a few days now and thusfar, haven't needed to physically side load anything.

The best way for me was downloading Aptoide (https://en.aptoide.com) and running that as a separate store. Everything I have is downloaded from there and appears to work 100%. Two apps gave me errors at the start about Google Services (AirBNB and TheEntertainer), but I could still browse ... I just couldn't use the maps. So far not as bad as I though - will still try a few more apps this evening that I really need though !

Huawei GalleryAptoideNote
WhatsAppYesYes (Trusted)
ChromeNoYes (Trusted)
InstagramNoYes (Trusted)
FacebookYesYes (Trusted)
Facebook MessengerNoYes (Trusted)
News24YesYes (Trusted)
MyBroadbandNoYes (Trusted)
XE CurrencyYesYes (Trusted)
EskomSePushYesYes (Trusted)
DropboxNoYes (Trusted)
AirBNBYesYes (Trusted)Google Services - No Maps
The EntertainerYesYes (Trusted)Google Services - No Maps
SnapSeedNoYes (Trusted)
22SevenYesYes (Trusted)
WazeNoYes (Trusted)
RainBirdNoYes
SpotifyYesYes (Trusted)
EZVIZNoYes (Trusted)
eWeLinkNoYes (Trusted)
BlueOSNoYes (Trusted)

To add to the list above, I got my FNB Banking and LinkedIn as well.