Will my spare SIM expire?

microsoftword

Hello everyone, I have a spare MTN prepaid SIM I keep in a MiFi router for emergencies like loadshedding and have it linked to my main SIM for datashare. I wanted to know if the SIM will expire if just left in the MiFi and I do small airtime recharges like R10 every month or if I need to do calls etc from it

Any help will be amazing thank you

It is not suppose to under the circumstances you describe as it will be considered an active sim by the network.

Totempole

Expert Member
Hello everyone, I have a spare MTN prepaid SIM I keep in a MiFi router for emergencies like loadshedding and have it linked to my main SIM for datashare. I wanted to know if the SIM will expire if just left in the MiFi and I do small airtime recharges like R10 every month or if I need to do calls etc from it

Any help will be amazing thank you
The small airtime recharges will definitely keep the SIM active.

That said, MTN is by far the most aggressive network about reclaiming the numbers of dormant SIM cards, so keep recharging yours.

Just a few days ago, I had a SIM reclaimed while I was using it with Afrihost data. I had never recharged it with any airtime or made any calls with it, so my chances of getting the number back are zero.