Win7 update path

milomak

Honorary Master
Has MS mentioned whether it will be possible to move from RC1 to full retail version?

Necuno

Court Jester
you could try the update trick which was used to update beta 1 to rc; it might work.

Terencek

Expert Member
My understanding from an IT consultant who works with Microsoft locally is that you will not be able to upgrade from the RC version to the real mccoy. In other words: you will have to wipe everything and start again. Beware and Be Aware!

Necuno

Court Jester
My understanding from an IT consultant who works with Microsoft locally is that you will not be able to upgrade from the RC version to the real mccoy. In other words: you will have to wipe everything and start again. Beware and Be Aware!
then you do the abstract upgrade. export everything, install and import every (migration wizard)

Ekhaatvensters

Executive Member
+1 Upgrading your OS is never a good idea, although Microsoft usually "Support it" I'd also say go with a clean install.
They don't usually support it with RC's and Beta's to final products. These builds won't be included in the list of OS's that you can upgrade from, so it's only possible if you modify the cversion.ini like DJNome said.

milomak

Honorary Master
so it is a couple of months away. i'll wait before then.

i can understand why RCs are not a supported upgrade path.and frankly i can understand why for windows install afresh is a better approach than upgrading

Drake2007

Expert Member
Vista > Windows 7 upgrade options.

Upgrade Option Offer Paths to Windows 7 with a qualifying Windows Vista Upgrade Option SKU

If a customer buys a PC preinstalled with: They are upgraded to
Windows Vista Home Premium: Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows Vista Business: Windows 7 Professional
Windows Vista Ultimate: Windows 7 Ultimate

Drake2007

Expert Member
In other words if you buy a PC with Vista now, make sure you get the Form from your dealer to upgrade later when Windows 7 is released.