Windows 10 File Extension Issue

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Got a new computer at church, which has Windows 10 installed.

We use Opensong Ver. 2.2.7 for lyrics projection.

This saves the lyric files as XML files without an extension.

Windows 10 in its infinite wisdom has now appended the "html" extension to these files.

Opensong now no longer shows the content of these files.

What must I do to get Windows 10 to leave these files alone.

Thanks

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Windows can only open one program for a particular file extension automatically, so if you like to work with your PNG files in Photoshop Elements, for example, and not Paint, changing the default file association for PNG files is required.

Follow the easy steps below to change a file type's program association in Windows.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
File associations are a vital part of a functioning Windows experience, so making sure that the right file types automatically open with the right software is a must. But what if you assign the wrong file association or just want to change it to a better program?

Windows 10 has proven more restrictive than past versions in terms of file associations and can be particularly fiddly if you just want to remove an association altogether.

Luckily, we have the answers, showing you how to change, reset and replace file associations in Windows 10.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Windows can only open one program for a particular file extension automatically, so if you like to work with your PNG files in Photoshop Elements, for example, and not Paint, changing the default file association for PNG files is required.

Follow the easy steps below to change a file type's program association in Windows.

Problem being, this works well if you are replacing one application with another. These files are now associated with Microsoft Edge, and they need to have NO association whatsoever.

They do not have a file extension at all.

I have copied a back up a few weeks old into a new folder, and these seem to be okay.

When Win10 finishes with it never ending updates, I will reboot and see if it sticks. But does not help, stopping someone clicking on one of these files and using Microsoft Edge as a viewer and then all files in directory acquire an html extension.
The addition of the html extension breaks Opensong and causes it to crash.

And I still do not know how to break this association.

Last edited:

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
It does occur to me that maybe finding a way to auto remove the html extension from these files might be a better long term solution, because finding the right person to kill is not going to be easy.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
What about using an alternative to opensong, something thats a bit more recent in regards to updates.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
What about using an alternative to opensong, something thats a bit more recent in regards to updates.

I have tried, on numerous occasions to have another program used, but have failed to get the idea thru.

Maybe be a good time, to try again - with the current issues being fresh.

Video Psalm is too heavy on resources, any preference, OpenLP looks to be fairly similar, and will import our lyrics easily. Free worship might be a good choice also.

Recommendations?

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
If it is only this one app then just setup a VM, possibly using a lite Linux distro. You won't be messing with the "main" Windows install.