Windows 10 update can break your VPN

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
That issue already got reported 5 days ago, I think most who are affected already know.

Swa

Honorary Master
LOL. The Windows 10 issues just never ends.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
LOL. The Windows 10 issues just never ends.
Why would they ever end? W10 is constantly being updated, the tech world is moving on, new exploits and features are constant.

This feature would hit enterprise users the hardest, who should have a sys admin who reads patch notes, delaying the update, there shouldn't be an issue.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
If this is anything to go by, then the impact of this is vastly overstated: https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-windows-10-misinformation-machine-fires-up-again/
That known issue occurs on a Windows 10 PC running version 1903 when two conditions are present:

First, the diagnostic data level setting is manually configured to the non-default setting of 0. For those who don't understand how unusual that configuration is, note that it applies only to Windows 10 Enterprise and that it can be set only using Group Policy on corporate networks or by manually editing the registry.

You can't accidentally enable this setting. And you can't deliberately set it on a system running Windows 10 Home or Pro, because it is for Enterprise edition only.

Second, the bug occurs only when a VPN profile is configured as an Always On VPN (AOVPN) connection. That's a specific form of virtual private network (VPN) access that was introduced with Windows Server 2016 and requires a tremendous amount of network configuration to enable. You can read the gory details here: Remote Access Always On VPN.

But unless you're a Windows Server 2016 sysadmin, it might not make sense. And as one commenter observed below, "I think I'd rather be beaten to death by my own keyboard than have to set up AOVPN."

[...]
It might also be worth noting at this point that this is an optional update. It's not installed automatically. It is literally a preview of the July cumulative update, released at the end of the previous month for corporate customers to test. Those tests by enterprise customers involve configurations like these on targeted devices, and until those issues are resolved no enterprise will consider the current release ready for widespread deployment.
But Swa is like the Forbes dude.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Why would they ever end? W10 is constantly being updated, the tech world is moving on, new exploits and features are constant.

This feature would hit enterprise users the hardest, who should have a sys admin who reads patch notes, delaying the update, there shouldn't be an issue.
Which explains why I'm still stuck on 1803 :crying:

Swa

Honorary Master

I honestly don't expect it to end. Windows 10 keeps breaking things as someone said when supposedly fixing others.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I honestly don't expect it to end. Windows 10 keeps breaking things as someone said when supposedly fixing others.
I would think you read before you post, but it seems the original post that MyBB is linking/referencing has the same issues.
Which explains why I'm still stuck on 1803 :crying:
Enterprise you mean? Usually months after the official release, but you have 30 months of support for every September release:
1562603797735.png
1562603819259.png
https://support.microsoft.com/en-za/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

And remember there was the 1809 fear mongering fiasco, but you've got over a year to update before security patches become an issue.

I'm still on 1809:
1562603877859.png
1562603895665.png