Windows AutoComplete Software

RedViking

Nord of the South
I am looking for AutoComplete software that work across any software or application on Windows.
I use a lot of similar terms and phrases across my software, emails, skype etc.

Many years ago I had some brilliant software on my PC but cannot remember what it was. I would type for example Tag#1 and it will replace it with a paragraph or annotation I pre-configured. It will also pick up words and phrases I use a lot and auto complete it.

I don't mind if it is paid software.

For example, I I type Selected Colorsteel roofing..........

It will automaticall complete the rest:
.......on self supporting roof underlay, on 70 x 45 purlins at 900 crs. Fix purlins with 1 / 10g x 80mm (min) self drilling screw.

gfmalan

Expert Member
On Mac I use TextExpander, I see a Windows download.

Google similar for Windows:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
There's a auto complete built into windows, it's the same engine as swype, it's okay/can be very good, but I disabled it as it type a lot faster than it can suggest.

Doesn't replace tags though, I should have read your full post before replying.

RedViking

Nord of the South
On Mac I use TextExpander, I see a Windows download.

Google similar for Windows:

Thanks will check it out.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I've been looking for something more like predictive text on phones where you can type the bare minimum and hit space to complete the word.

More specifically for disabled people who struggle to type with alternative means and reducing key strokes.

RedViking

Nord of the South
So after googling a bit, best open source is either set up scripts with AutoHotKey or go with BeefText if you don't want to go that complex. Otherwise paid stuff starts at $3.33/month for anything good.
YEs I don't mind paying. Checked out the free stuff and not exactly what I am looking for. Will try TextExpander. I just wish I could remember the name of the software I used many years ago.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
YEs I don't mind paying. Checked out the free stuff and not exactly what I am looking for. Will try TextExpander. I just wish I could remember the name of the software I used many years ago.
One of these perhaps?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I was hoping for someone who is already using and application and can vouch for it. Easy to google and get 100's of results. :D
If you join us devs, you can get Emmet for front-end stuff: https://emmet.io/
Or some version of IntelliSense for the language: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/ide/using-intellisense?view=vs-2019
:p

AHK's Hotstrings still seems the best free option: https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotstrings.htm

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I was hoping for someone who is already using and application and can vouch for it. Easy to google and get 100's of results. :D
Jesus, talk about "misinterpreting"...especially re. MY posts it seems.

I posted those names to see if one of them jogged your memory re. the one you used before and couldn't remember...

I just wish I could remember the name of the software I used many years ago.
Ring a bell...?

So I was actually trying to help/be nice...

RedViking

Nord of the South
Jesus, talk about "misinterpreting"...especially re. MY posts it seems.

I posted those names to see if one of them jogged your memory re. the one you used before and couldn't remember...

Ring a bell...?

So I was actually trying to help/be nice...

View attachment 731635
I didn't misunderstand, but I wasn't nasty to you. Damn women, didn't know you are that sensitive. You having pms?

RedViking

Nord of the South
The software i was looking for was called PhraseExpress. Thanks to @Dairyfarmer for his excel thread and @mh348 making a comment. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I don't know why I didn't pick it up in a google search, but the moment I opened the link the old memories came back. The name didn't stand out so I didn't click the link between all the other.... but anyways, got it now.

Last edited: