Windows Installing issue(Looping restart)

Magnarmalok

Expert Member
I was busy installing windows Home ( Have installed on the same hardware before using this software, so it worked fine before)

Installing windows:
1.I insert the disk
2.F8 to install and that whole thing till the HDD format part.
3. When it is done it copies the windows files on to the HDD.
4.Then windows says it will restart in 15secs.
5.The pc restarts and comes to the press any key to boot from the cd part or leave it to continue with the installation process so I leave it but then it takes me back to (2.F8 to install and that whole thing till the HDD format part.)

So I think it is not detecting the files on the HDD that windows just made to run it self?

What could be the reason causing it to loop and start over instead of continuing as it should?

:confused:
*had cmos battery issue/works now.
*HDD and cd-rom took them out and reinserted them.
*Changed Bios settings.

Now I know I might have done some thing with the above that I am unaware of but I am not sure seeing that I did setup the pc just as it was before.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
It could be bad RAM. Try removing one of the dimms and then a different one, and so on, to see if it continues past this stage.

killadoob

Honorary Master
You should check in your bios that your first boot device is cd-rom and second is hdd, sounds like to me like it cannot find your hdd or boot from it to me.

Does your bios see your hdd?

riscbroker

Expert Member
Talk about coincidence! I have the identical problem, but I am trying a repair install, not a new install.

I can access the Windows files using a Linux CD and am considering backing up all documents and drivers and then formatting the HDD prior to a fresh install.

Are you doing a repair or fresh install?

dablakmark8

Honorary Master
try repformatting 2 times.the first a quick one and the second a the long format(do not select qiuck format).CHeck from there .I had these issues so many times but a real format:D sometimes did the trick

Magnarmalok

Expert Member
I did all above even before you guys posted :(
Tried different hdds, cdroms, ram, bios sees the hdds all configured how it should be.
Nothings out of the ordinary that I can notice did a full troubleshooting.

I'm gonna have to fork up cash now for a pc shop with testing equipment. I don't the money to take my pc in :( cause I'm a poor poor IT student.

foozball3000

Executive Member
I did all above even before you guys posted :(
Tried different hdds, cdroms, ram, bios sees the hdds all configured how it should be.
Nothings out of the ordinary that I can notice did a full troubleshooting.

I'm gonna have to fork up cash now for a pc shop with testing equipment. I don't the money to take my pc in :( cause I'm a poor poor IT student.
Might be your copy of Windows. Try to install Ubuntu, that should at least give you an indication if it's a hardware problem.

F.Y.I. The only reason why I'm prompting that he installs Ubuntu is because it should be easy to obtain a cd.

Magnarmalok

Expert Member
I tested my windows cd part of the troubleshooting on other pc "worked*"
Unbuntu did the SAME THING so its hardware related hmmm.