Windows: It's Over - ZDNet Article

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.zdnet.com/windows-its-over-7000013964/

Summary: You can think Windows 8 will evolve into something better, but the numbers show that Windows is coming to a dead end.

Most people in our recent debate over the future of Windows 8 thought that the operating system could be saved. I'm sure many people in 1491 thought that the Earth was flat, too.
Win8-220If Windows 8 continues the way it has been, it will be the end of Windows.

The very day the debate came to an end, this headline appeared: IDC: Global PC shipments plunge in worst drop in a generation. Sure, a lot of that was due to the growth of tablets and smartphones and the rise of the cloud, but Windows 8 gets to take a lot of the blame too. After all, the debate wasn't whether or not Windows 8 was any good. It's not. The debate was over whether it could be saved.

Indeed even Microsoft defenders are no longer talking about Windows 8 in terms of a stand-alone project but instead they're spinning it as Windows 8 being "more like a living organism, made partly from familiar bits that have evolved over the last two decades, with several new strands of DNA tossed in. It’s due to be updated for more often, and it’s part of a much larger hardware-apps-services ecosystem that is also changing quickly."

Please. Changing too fast for the user-base was what turned many former Windows fans into Windows 8 haters. Some people think I've put too much emphasis on Windows 8's dismal Metro interface for why Windows 8 has failed. I don't think so. This isn't a matter of judging a book by its cover; the user interface (UI) is everything for computer users. If the UI alienates users, you lose them. It's as simple as that.

My comrade pointed out that I declared Vista dead six years ago, but that the Aero interface, which I like, started there. True, but that wasn't the point. I was right. Vista did die. Microsoft had to bring back XP to stop users from fleeing to Linux on netbooks.
Read this

Now, Microsoft could revive Windows 7 sales, or make Aero Windows 8.x's interface, but from everything we can see about Windows 8.1, aka Blue, that's not what they're doing. Instead, Microsoft seems to be doubling down on Metro.

Idiots.

You think the least they could do is give users a choice between a real Aero interface and Metro, but no, they won't do that. I don't know what it is, but lately, UI "experts" seem to want to create interfaces that only appeal to their builders and not to any of their users. It's not just Microsoft with Aero. In Linux, GNOME made similar blunders with its 3.x line and many former Ubuntu Linux users think Canonical went on the wrong track with Unity.

Yes, we are entering a post-PC world. Tablets and smartphones are becoming more important... to sales. PCs are no more going to go away than mainframes did. We're still going to be using them in offices and homes for the foreseeable future. They let us easily do things that we need to do every day that we can't easily do with a tablet or a phone.

Perhaps most of our computing will move to the cloud, but you know what device we'll still be using for most of our interactions? It will be a PC, simply because it's easier to enter data with a real keyboard than any other interface.

True, it would be great if you could use one operating system for your PC, tablet, and smartphone. Besides Microsoft with Windows 8.x, Canonical with Ubuntu, Mozilla with Firefox OS, and Google with Android/Chrome are all making similar bets.

But I don't think that's essential. I think Microsoft could continue to dominate the important, but no longer growing, desktop market for years, even decades to come. However, I don't think they will.

It looks like Microsoft is betting all its chips on the silly notion that Metro will be the one true interface for its entire PC and device line. There's only one little problem with this idea. Sorry, but I have to say it again, look at the numbers: Metro-interface operating systems have already failed.

Fewer people than with any previous edition of Windows want Windows 8. Vista actually looks successful when you compare it to Windows 8! As for tablets and smartphones, I think my ComputerWorld colleague Preston Gralla summed it up nicely in his analysis of ABI Research's report on 2013's tablet market: "Windows tablets don't even rate a blip in the $64 billion tablet market."

So, what do the numbers show? Not what do you want them to show, and not what would your faith in Microsoft would have you believe, but what do they actually add up to? The sum is that Microsoft is failing to hold on to the desktop market and that it has no impact whatsoever on smartphones and tablets.

Windows 8 may not just be a failure in and of itself. Unless Microsoft changes course, this may be the end of the Windows domination period in end-using computing. Indeed, some major financial firms, such as Goldman Sachs and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (KPCB), already believe that Windows has crested and that it's all downhill from here.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Classic Shell to the rescue.

Agreed - the Metro UI is good for touchscreen devices, but for traditional devices (mouse and keyboard) it is not. It fail miserably, forcing users to either upgrade to XP or Win7, or to install alternatives such as Classic Shell.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
After some use I have also come to the conclusion that the Metro UI is not good for non-touchscreen at all. That's not to say that Windows sucks, just their UI which feels disjointed with the rest of the operating system.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Oh, and also removing the last vestiges of Windows7 themes and stuff from their site, so you can't customize Win7 to your liking.

Sucks.

F

Fudzy

Classic Shell to the rescue.

Agreed - the Metro UI is good for touchscreen devices, but for traditional devices (mouse and keyboard) it is not. It fail miserably, forcing users to either upgrade to XP or Win7, or to install alternatives such as Classic Shell.

I must admit I don't really miss the Start bar button at all. The new rligh-click functionality in that corner is quite useful too.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Microsoft Windows 8: Biggest Failure Ever? Can Blue Save It?

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/7855/20130415/microsoft-windows-8-biggest-failure-blue-save.htm

The numbers are starting to come in, and they don't look good for Microsoft. Two reports last week pegged the sales decline for the PC market's first quarter at either 14 percent or 11 percent, and everyone's blaming Windows 8 for the situation.

"It's brutal," said Bob O'Donnell of the research firm IDC. "These are disastrous numbers. Huge. Not only has Windows 8 not helped, but it's actually hurt PC shipments."

The numbers initiated another round of Windows 8 doomsaying, and now people are actively debating whether or not the operating system is "Microsoft's biggest failure ever."

Sure, but just because people ask the question doesn't mean the answer is yes. However, the simple fact that people are wondering if Windows 8 is worse than Vista or Zune is pretty damning.

Motley Fool's telecom analyst Andrew Tonner took on the question head-on in a recent video.

While there may certainly be macroeconomic reasons for slowing PC sales, Tonner said, "It is also clearly based on the lack of success of Windows 8." Many analysts expected Windows 8 to reinvigorate the PC market, boost sales and begin another healthy refresh cycle for PCs, he added, but that is "clearly not the case. People simply don't seem to like the platform very much."

But the negative reaction isn't just a bad sign for PC makers, it also creates ripple effects for Microsoft's other ambition: to expand in the mobile marketplace. It needs Windows 8 to do that. This is the first time Microsoft has moved toward a unified OS across mobile and PC, and if it fails, the company will find itself in a precarious position. There's always the chance that Windows Blue (8.1) could make the OS appealing enough for sales to pick up, but even that won't happen until much later this year.

Tonner doesn't come out and say Windows 8 is a huge failure, but by the end of the video it's easy to see he's not confident in Redmond's strategy or ability to pull through:

"There's a reason this company [Microsoft] basically has generated zero returns for investors over the last ten years, and that's because they simply don't get where technology is going any more."

"They're entrenched where it's been, but its future is not looking good for Microsoft."

Cameronkk

I have no problem Navigating Win8 with a mouse and keyboard, in fact it's much faster than Win7, to launch the correct program.
Then again I have been using it for about 18 months. People are just afraid or dislike change.

m4dh4tt3r

I dont really run into any problems with windows 8.

The new start menu for me is much better and actually allows me to quickly interact with the few applications I use often instead of having them clutter my desktop. To me it is much more customizable than the old one and it looks a lot better than the plain boring start menu.

I dont have any of the file association issues that everyone complains about as I fixed that all on day1. Really dont see what all the fuss is about with windows8 as it is a great operating system.

Cameronkk

The new start menu for me is much better and actually allows me to quickly interact with the few applications I use often instead of having them clutter my desktop. To me it is much more customizable than the old one and it looks a lot better than the plain boring start menu.

I dont have any of the file association issues that everyone complains about as I fixed that all on day1. Really dont see what all the fuss is about with windows8 as it is a great operating system.

I agree.

K

kingrob

And all the big white spaces everyone on the desktop? How do you like that? :p

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I have no problem Navigating Win8 with a mouse and keyboard, in fact it's much faster than Win7, to launch the correct program.
Then again I have been using it for about 18 months. People are just afraid or dislike change.

Yes, people are just afraid so much and dislike change so much that the market forces are actually adjusting in line with their preferences... :rolleyes:

Who could imagine such a thing?

K

kingrob

sorry little confused by this question? I dont have any white spaces on my desktop?

The app content is widely spaced, as to make it easier for touch, which is what Windows 8 was designed for.

It's not optimized for a normal keyboard/mouse experience/environment, as is Windows 7/Office 2010.

Notice all the big tiles, wide spacing, etc. which does not provide an premium desktop experience.

shogun

Expert Member
This thread reminds me... when will we see surface pro? Is it out here yet?

m4dh4tt3r

The app content is widely spaced, as to make it easier for touch, which is what Windows 8 was designed for.

It's not optimized for a normal keyboard/mouse experience/environment, as is Windows 7/Office 2010.

Notice all the big tiles, wide spacing, etc. which does not provide an premium desktop experience.

to be honest, I have never noticed it. My PC works the exact same as it did when I had windows 7 installed. Actually it runs faster and has some extra utilities that windows7 was lacking.

I do not use any windows 8 apps from the app store. Deleted them all on day1 and have never bothered looking again, I am happy with my normal windows programs. I just deleted all the apps from the start screen and added in all my apps that I use on a daily basis and I am used to the placement of them and dont really notice anything out of place as such.

As for the rest, I use my desktop as I did in windows 7, It looks exactly the same to me? I dont see any icons out of place.. Ill take a pic later if required but everything is exactly the same on the desktop except for the round start button which is now just an invisible button.