Windows reinstall good idea?

OldGoat

Hi all.
My PC has now slowed down to a crawl and I'm thinking of performing a windows 10 reinstall. The installation asks if you want to keep personal files AND apps.
Are the apps mentioned here my software installations (like Adobe software etc.) or just windows apps?

gamer16

Executive Member
Hi all.
My PC has now slowed down to a crawl and I'm thinking of performing a windows 10 reinstall. The installation asks if you want to keep personal files AND apps.
Are the apps mentioned here my software installations (like Adobe software etc.) or just windows apps?
Much easier to diagnose the issue than to reinstall everything. star with the task manager, sort the Cpu, memory and disk usage from high to low and see if you see anything with very high usages.

OldGoat

Have tried to diagnose and do "spring cleaning" but I can never get the performance even close to what it was.
Will give a reinstall a bash. Wish me luck :giggle:

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
never had a problem with my iMac at work since 2013 and my MacAir 2012 at home since i switched over from Windows. Never once done a rebuild. But I do remember since Windows 3.11 right through to Windows XP days I always had to do rebuilds every 2 years or so.
Good Luck

werny

Expert Member
I reinstall windows once a year even though I probably don't have to, just feels great starting fresh and everything is nice and fast again.

All my files are on a separate SSD, boot drive is a M.2, thus Windows is a breeze to reinstall along with the few programs I use.

Clean install is always recommended, just ensure everything is backed up before you do so.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Reinstall, activate and do all the updates. Install all your apps and get them activated and updated. Do a disk image. Next time you want to do a clean install you just drop the image, update everything again, reimage and restore your data backup. Takes a fraction of the time and you will also have a nice fresh install.

Zarnicate

Reinstall Windows. Create restore point, Install apps, create restore point.
So basically when the problem occurs again just restore either Windows only or with your basic apps
or as mention above create disk image

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
Interesting. I installed Windows on my iMac in 2015 and I have never had to do any maintenance on my "PC" since then.
That is so weird, yet true. Totally forgot I too am running Windows on my iMac as well via Parallels and also no problems at all. Nothing...mmm weird indeed

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
You know what, my little Mac mini i5 with Windows 10 outperforms my dedicated i7 gaming rig with tasks like WinRAR archiving, movie encoding, so go figure. I sold my gaming pc due to constant crashes, driver issues, random rebooting and just not into fixing pc stuff anymore. May we conclude then that Apple makes the best Windows PC?
:ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh:

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
never had a problem with my iMac at work since 2013 and my MacAir 2012 at home since i switched over from Windows. Never once done a rebuild. But I do remember since Windows 3.11 right through to Windows XP days I always had to do rebuilds every 2 years or so.
Good Luck
The only time I've had to reformat a PC since Windows 7, has been to install a new version. I clone my setup when changing from HDD to SSD, for example. I agree with up to XP, though, that was sometimes the only way.

gamer16

Executive Member
You know what, my little Mac mini i5 with Windows 10 outperforms my dedicated i7 gaming rig with tasks like WinRAR archiving, movie encoding, so go figure. I sold my gaming pc due to constant crashes, driver issues, random rebooting and just not into fixing pc stuff anymore. May we conclude then that Apple makes the best Windows PC?
That's kind of like saying a Nokia 3310 is the best mobile phone because it never goes wrong.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
There should be literally no reason for that to be possible. Its exactly the same type of hardware.