Wireless Access in Cluster Developments

nasal123

Could someone please clarify if it is legal or not to setup a wireless network in a cluster development and then charge for access to the internet? I would also like to know what the best equipment would be to achieve this and where to purchase it?

Thanks

http://www.jawug.za.net/

They have references to best equipment. As for wireless in a cluster development, as far as I know it is legal, you're not allowed to cross public roads and not exceed a specified broadcasting range or whatever. However, I don't see how ICASA can enforce that, as a normal AP can stretch kilometers without hassle.

Re: Selling internet connection. Not sure exactly how that will work, best to find out from ISPA or ICASA themselves re: what the legal impact of that is. You could always claim to do it as a community service, thus non-profit (or the profit that you do make, you use to uplift the community or some crap like that)

Where are you based?

nasal123

In the Sandton area, most developments here havent got a central broadband connection, and alot of these development want a cheap no hassle alternative

dorris

as far as I know it is legal, you're not allowed to cross public roads
wrong, that public road story, is how it was put into laymans terms, it is any property boundary, in fact, its even illegal to run this sort of service in an office park!
the only time a property boundary can be crossed is if 1 person owns 2 adjacent properties.
Y do u think the only people that try to provide this sort of service are powerband, and they use PowerLineCommunications for it, its not legal for anyone to provide the infrastructure except for people such as Telkom/sentech (somewhere in this also sit Eskom/transtel)

I researched this thoroughly last year, if you want more info/clarification, speak to Andries from ICASA, he will give you the full info.

This is the type of thing VANS were denied yesterday, independant building of infrastructure.

A little advice for you, in future, try discover legalities and parts of business proposals behind closed doors, and not on a public forum. If this was a legal idea, you would have given an original idea to thousands of entrepreneurs, that will become your competition.

daffy

Expert Member
You have no idea how many people have asked this question before, and are actually doing it :p

Every second Wireless hardware sales call I get is someone wanting to share an internet connection with people in his complex :)

DFantom

Expert Member
dorris said:
A little advice for you, in future, try discover legalities and parts of business proposals behind closed doors, and not on a public forum.
How about just doing a search of said forum, since this has been asked before and dealt with before on these forums.

...and how about you all suck my ass? Providing a wireless service LIKE Sentech and Telkom does require licenses BECAUSE it's not in the "grey area spectrum" like normal 802 wireless.

Oi... it's too early to get into this discussion.

South Africans, do what you please, because you obviously don't care anyway....

nasal123

noone thanks for all the helpful info...much appreciated. As for the rest of you I'm sick of everyone bitching and moaning in these forums, all I asked for was a little info. I did not asked to be attacked because I posted this question on the forum or that this has been discussed before. I asked a simple question, it was not my intention to get into some heated argument whether I should or shouldn't discuss "legalities", I was just curious......

caroper

Executive Member
Set up an Internet café with two wireless PC's for public access and charge for use.
Accidentally let everyone in the complex know the password.
Accept regular gratuities from them to stop you changing the password.
Lax security is not illegal, and accepting gifts is the Governments preferred way of doing business.
If you are corrupt enough they may even grant you a SNO licence........

TheRoDent

Expert Member
It's actually quite simple. WiFi equipment is specifically mentioned in the ISPA.org advisory : http://www.ispa.org.za/advisory8.htm

In addition, Government Notice number 1790 of 17 November 1995 excludes certain equipment from the definition of radio apparatus and as such from the provisions of Sections 30 and 31 of the Act, of particular relevance being wireless LAN equipment. The relevant exemptions are –

“(2) Wireless spread spectrum Local Area Networks (LAN's); used for short distance on single sites e.g. in an office complex in the 2,4-2,5 GHz (ISM) band. The standard to be utilised for such systems in this band shall be ETS 300 328 or an equivalent standard. In particular, RF power requirements shall be in accordance with the standards mentioned which are broadly as follows: The maximum" effective isotropic radiated power is defined as the total power of the transmitter which is - 1 0 dBW (1 00 mW). The peak power density is defined as the highest instantaneous level of power in Watts per Hertz generated by the transmitter within the power envelope. This shall be - I 0 dBW (11 00 mW) per 1 00 kHz EIRP for equipment using Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) modulation and -20 dBW (10 mW) per MHz EIRP for other modulation types. The following conditions are applicable:

(a) Only equipment which has been type approved by the Postmaster General may be used. Such type approval shall require compliance with the Radio Regulations and the standard stipulated above.

(b) No interference may be caused to users of other ISM equipment within the band or to other radio users outside the band.

(c) No complaints of interference to spread spectrum systems will be investigated.

(d) LAN's shall be confined to the same premises/buildings and between the computer systems of the same user.

As defined in 5.2.2 and 7.2.3 of the Standard and includes the gain of the antenna in dBi.

(3) Wireless LAN's used for short distance, in the following other ISM bands, namely 433,050-434,790 MHz and 5 725-5 875 GHz for use on single sites e.g. in an office complex. Spread spectrum/wide band standards other than ETS 300 328 will be considered within these bands in accordance with the general principles listed in (2) for the 2,4-2,5 GHz ISM band, especially with regard to power requirements.

ic

White Walker [wearing a MyBroadband Jacket]
Super Moderator
Ok, now lets throw a typical curve-ball @ ICASA:

Where can I find this "Postmaster General" (Bryanston Post Office is closer for me), will he throw me out his office thinking I'm on drugs asking him about wifi, internet, lan, computers, provision of service...

-reminds me of that TV add - press the Postmaster General's "Information" button & ask "do sharks need to keep movinf to stay alive"

Something tells me there's a fly in that ointment - a leftover from SATRA days.

stoke

Honorary Master
TheRoDent said:
(b) No interference may be caused to users of other ISM equipment within the band or to other radio users outside the band.
(c) No complaints of interference to spread spectrum systems will be investigated.
i.e. You will NOT interfere with others, but we don't care.
LOL - This is the LAW ????