Sinbad

Honorary Master
Without ANC trademark black BMWs, convoys, parties, first class flights, corruption, incompetence, the roads could be maintained with plenty of money to spare for unimportant things like ejamacation, hopspitals, pubic lie-bries, etc...

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
If they spend the already road fuel tax on the road it would be a start...

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
It sounds to me like they are threatening us.
Does it sound like that to anyone else?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I don't understand what they are trying to do. On the one hand they say it is not working, they are not making money from it. Then they blame each other, then they threaten to rage quit if somebody blames them and then they say that we would suffer without it. They truly are a pathetic incompetent bunch of fools.

Seriously

Honorary Master
I don't understand what they are trying to do. On the one hand they say it is not working, they are not making money from it. Then they blame each other, then they threaten to rage quit if somebody blames them and then they say that we would suffer without it. They truly are a pathetic incompetent bunch of [-]f [/-]tools.

FTFY

Messugga

Honorary Master
I don't understand what they are trying to do. On the one hand they say it is not working, they are not making money from it. Then they blame each other, then they threaten to rage quit if somebody blames them and then they say that we would suffer without it. They truly are a pathetic incompetent bunch of fools.
They also can't do math for ****. They say they would need to increase the fuel levy by R3.60. From a quick Google search, SA sold something like 11 billion litres of petrol (not diesel) in 2009. Take that figure, factor in a bit of cost because not billing system is 100% free, and they'd do R36bn pa. That conflicts with SANRAL's statement that they need R3bn odd pa, in order to furnish their debts.

Paul_S

Expert Member
They also can't do math for ****. They say they would need to increase the fuel levy by R3.60. From a quick Google search, SA sold something like 11 billion litres of petrol (not diesel) in 2009. Take that figure, factor in a bit of cost because not billing system is 100% free, and they'd do R36bn pa. That conflicts with SANRAL's statement that they need R3bn odd pa, in order to furnish their debts.

I think what the Minister Dipuo Peters is trying to say is that they would need to increase the fuel levy by R3.65 per litre in order to continue to make obscene profits off the road users.
IMO, this whole e-tolling system is about the enrichment of a few select at the expense of the majority - nothing else.

me_

Found the same thing. Actually current demand is listed at 24bn litres or petrol and diesel which equates to R 86.4bn pa. Considering infrastructure projects pay off in 20years (or more), that would mean Sanral could be spending R 1.7 trillion to upgrade the roads around the country.

grok

Honorary Master
First it was the scheming to steal from the public, then the billowing of the budget, then the terderpreneurship and cadre enrichment, then the threatening, then the lawsuits, then the lying, some more threatening, then the pleading .. and now the laying on of the guilt trip.

Classic painted-myself-into-a-corner-schit.

I say let the roads suffer, damn those asphalt strips for their uselessness just lying there linking towns and cities. Let them suffer their punishment like we have to suffer ANC rule.

If the majority of users don't want it, we simply won't pay for it.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
If all the billions of rands collected from tax payers was used constructively we would not need BS like e-Tolling.

But instead millions and millions go missing every week ..... :mad:

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
A fuel levy was not a desirable alternative of funding the GFIP as this would result in an increase in the fuel price of around R3.65 per litre, she said.

Learn math Dipuo Peters...

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Probably want to increase it by that much to cover the debt of unpaid tolls.

maeztro

Without e-tolls, roads would suffer: DoT

If e-tolls in Gauteng were scrapped Sanral would need to delay maintenance of old road networks and abort all road expansion projects, the transport department said on Tuesday

I am a slight bit - no, make that extremely - confused here. If the user pays, how is the income or not from e-tolls impacting on the maintenance and expansion of other roads?