work full time and register for full time postgraduate degree?

Mokgaga

is it illegal to register for full time degree while working full time? will skip lectures but obviously write tests and exams.

no lecture about time and distance learning please :sneaky:

Mokgaga

i qualified as a CA and passed CFA exams about 10yrs ago so i want to believe that my IQ is above average

3WA

Executive Member
Not illegal, but likely against the University’s terms and conditions. Probably also against the employer's.

cguy

Expert Member
I did that, but I didn’t have lectures, tests or exams. Are you talking about honours?

Midnights_Ghost

I wouldn't say it's illegal, but you probably wont make DP (duly performed) based on attendance. You wont be allowed to write tests. Then you wont be allowed to write exams. That would also depend on the institute, the course, and their own policies.

Why do you need to register for full time studies in any case? If you can manage the workload, just register for part time and finish the course in a year rather than 2 years. Unless there is a bursary involved that requires you to be a full time student.

krycor

Honorary Master
I wouldn't say it's illegal, but you probably wont make DP (duly performed) based on attendance. You wont be allowed to write tests. Then you wont be allowed to write exams. That would also depend on the institute, the course, and their own policies.

Why do you need to register for full time studies in any case? If you can manage the workload, just register for part time and finish the course in a year rather than 2 years. Unless there is a bursary involved that requires you to be a full time student.
Also most course have a time commitment in hours, so registering for a full time load and working means potentially carrying 16hrs/day or 80hr work weeks outside of extra study or work. This is potentially bad when either requires additional time.

People do however do this for thesis/dissertation only degrees ie masters & phd because it involves research, practical projects/study and write ups which typically is done over 2yrs thus can be project managed. (Course work has attendance req and typically day time).

MBA and other advanced business & finance degrees are structured with work in mind so can’t compare these to a subject matter degree program.

cguy

Expert Member
Yes would like to do hons
Generally a little tricky. There are typically lecture/tutorial attendance policies and such. Easier for Masters and up, and usually even then only if your supervisor thinks it makes sense.

XFlorenceX

In my honors year at Stellenbosch, attending lectures was compulsory and we had to sign attendance registers. If you never showed up, you would most certainly not be allowed exam entrance. Class tests was also done during these lectures which counted towards your final mark. I am 99% sure your strategy won't work.

mattrudlles

Attendance registers at post-grad level :oops: We didn't even have attendance registers in our LLB degree. You're an adult, its your responsibility to make the most of your life.

@op, will you have exams, and formal lectures? Or will it be essay/assignment based with seminars?

kabusi

is it illegal to register for full time degree while working full time? will skip lectures but obviously write tests and exams.

no lecture about time and distance learning please :sneaky:
Not lecturing, but what exactly is wrong with distance learning?

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Attendance registers at post-grad level :oops: We didn't even have attendance registers in our LLB degree. You're an adult, its your responsibility to make the most of your life.

@op, will you have exams, and formal lectures? Or will it be essay/assignment based with seminars?
You never wrote unannounced tests? Or even tests with short notice? Those serve mostly to be attendance registers..

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Not lecturing, but what exactly is wrong with distance learning?
Gonna take a gander and say that the course he wants isnt available. We have a shortage of proper distance learning courses - barring unisa, you're out of luck mostly.

mattrudlles

You never wrote unannounced tests? Or even tests with short notice? Those serve mostly to be attendance registers..
No we didn't - we never had time for that. Tests were mostly on Friday evenings, and Saturday mornings. Like clockwork, basically a test every week.

Polly101

Also, if there is group work (is that a thing these days?) how would you propose you manage these?

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
No we didn't - we never had time for that. Tests were mostly on Friday evenings, and Saturday mornings. Like clockwork, basically a test every week.
Well, there you go then. You didn't need other attendance type tests, as you had one like clock work every week. My point still stands. That's the way most varsities take attendance, tests.

Even the stupid ones that you peers mark - are used for attendance. Not that you had those you busy busy bee.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Also, if there is group work (is that a thing these days?) how would you propose you manage these?
Whatsapp and make sure you deliver your parts. Presentations would be treated the same as test I would presume.

Polly101

Whatsapp and make sure you deliver your parts. Presentations would be treated the same as test I would presume.
yeah, whatsapp while the rest of the group meets to have discussions... I can see that being effective and not at all annoying to the rest of the group members :rolleyes: