Worthwhile VOiP providers

Rob123

Following this thread keenly.

I would like to move away from a LTE PABX and move to a cellular solution only using existing mobile phones that works like a PABX (call routing, etc.). I saw one solution mentioned that runs on MTN, but I would like to hear feedback from anyone that has tried this or heard about it please.

Something like this: www.zytel.co.za

Speedster

Honorary Master

I would like to move away from a LTE PABX and move to a cellular solution only using existing mobile phones that works like a PABX (call routing, etc.). I saw one solution mentioned that runs on MTN, but I would like to hear feedback from anyone that has tried this or heard about it please.

We're using a hosted 3CX solution with apps on our smartphones. There are a couple of desktop phones at the office (reception etc), but for the most part we use our smartphones. We're able to transfer calls between users just like an old school pabx.

Rob123

We're using a hosted 3CX solution with apps on our smartphones. There are a couple of desktop phones at the office (reception etc), but for the most part we use our smartphones. We're able to transfer calls between users just like an old school pabx.
Hi Speedster.

Can you let me know who this is through please?

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Check out mezobyte too for 3cx .they hosting ours with switch telecom VoIP trunk (for 50 users ) and it's been working a treat.

No issues except for Huawei phones with harmony OS. While those users install and register extension , it shows as unregistered so we can't call them directly. I guess 3cx just needs to come to party to fully support that OS.

3cx is amazing. Users don't need degrees in VOIP settings to use it. Install app, scan QR code and extension set up in 3 seconds

Half_Frog

Expert Member

Hi

We implemented this solution (MTN carried PBX)

So basically it is a hosted PBX that runs on the MTN network. It uses 2G backbone and works as a normal cellphone. You are able to receive calls via your 08X number and via your ported landline number. You are able to dail ext 4XXX internally with minimal costs (0.1c p/min)

Let me know if you require more info

Rob123

Hi

We implemented this solution (MTN carried PBX)

So basically it is a hosted PBX that runs on the MTN network. It uses 2G backbone and works as a normal cellphone. You are able to receive calls via your 08X number and via your ported landline number. You are able to dail ext 4XXX internally with minimal costs (0.1c p/min)

Let me know if you require more info
Nice. I have dropped you a note.
Do any other mobile providers do this, as I am not sure about MTN reception in my area?

deweyzeph

Executive Member

I'm running 3CX on my local network on a Raspberry Pi and it works flawlessly. Tried hosted PBX's but they're rubbish for the most part. If you want something done properly do it yourself.

lightpixel

I'm running 3CX on my local network on a Raspberry Pi and it works flawlessly. Tried hosted PBX's but they're rubbish for the most part. If you want something done properly do it yourself.
Using 3cx also. Been testing for a month. Hosting it on AWS Cape Town. Very good results so far.
Who are you using for your VOIP trunk?

Speedster

Honorary Master
I considered self hosting but decided to go with a hosting provider - need to focus on our core service and, for now, this would've been another time eating distraction

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I considered self hosting but decided to go with a hosting provider - need to focus on our core service and, for now, this would've been another time eating distraction

The biggest issue with hosting PBX's in the cloud is that all your internal calls (i.e. from one extension to the another on your local network) are go out across the internet to your cloud server and then come back, making internal calls very inefficient, network-wise. It also means if your internet connection goes down, your internal phone system goes down too. With a locally hosted PBX at least if your internet connection goes down you can still make internal calls from one extension to another. Auto-provisioning phones through a hosted PBX is also much trickier if the PBX and the SIP phones are not on the same local network segment.

Speedster

Honorary Master
The biggest issue with hosting PBX's in the cloud is that all your internal calls (i.e. from one extension to the another on your local network) are go out across the internet to your cloud server and then come back, making internal calls very inefficient, network-wise. It also means if your internet connection goes down, your internal phone system goes down too. With a locally hosted PBX at least if your internet connection goes down you can still make internal calls from one extension to another. Auto-provisioning phones through a hosted PBX is also much trickier if the PBX and the SIP phones are not on the same local network segment.
We make hardly any internal calls when we're on the same premises

Rob123

I have a Pi sitting at home going to waste, so please fill me in one how you did this as I might try it if it is not too complicated.

deweyzeph

Executive Member