• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

WTF was I thinking :(

isie

Executive Member
Since the approval and sim activation on the 4th no further contact received...other then the SMS, because I am rural it takes about 3 to 5 days for delivery.I am most impressed otherwise with how smooth things went, I checked the data logs, which is quite odd shows data usages from before the activation, shows data usage on the 2 and on the 4th and today where I used the R10.00 airtime I loaded yesterday to buy a night express bundle. What is odd is the sim only got activated on the 4th late afternoon ish, but it's the first time I have used the sim since activation.
The data used on the 4th was for a night express bundled loaded before the activation of the sim, find it odd that they are showing prepaid usage before activation ?

mymtn 2018-07-04 03:45:10 2018-07-04 03:45:10 53.47
mymtn 2018-07-04 03:33:46 2018-07-04 03:33:46 400.00
mymtn 2018-07-04 03:10:44 2018-07-04 03:10:44 0.39
mymtn 2018-07-04 03:09:58 2018-07-04 03:09:58 456.00
:wtf: Recycled number perhaps?
better check for no WASPS activated

wizardofid

Expert Member
:wtf: Recycled number perhaps?
better check for no WASPS activated
Some confusion, I had this sim for some odd months now, used it for afrihost only so they moved over the sim to contract when requested if I wanted a new sim or use an existing number so used one of my secondary mtn prepaid sim's I used with afrihost.

Just odd they are showing prepaid usage on it, before the move over to contract, also checked there are no shared bundles with 136.
Also checked there are no WASPS or subscription services either.Generally don't get spam or spam calls either, even thought it's a recycled number, unbilled invoice is still the same as well, no issues there either......Did get some data sharing SMS yesterday morning didn't think much about them, as they just said data sharing is active now.. only meaning the service is active...

Confirmation on 136
Your Data Share list is currently empty. To share your internet bundles you have to link numbers.
Do occasionally get an sms for mr vaugh to pay his tv license, they looking for him quite badly it seems as they now offering a 50% discount and PNP vouchers....... :D

DSV couriers just sent a sms that they have the device and will contact soon for delivery date and time.

Only reason I can think why they allocated the 30gig promo is because it is the latest 3 size(mini, mirco and nano) LTE sim....

Last edited:

wizardofid

Expert Member
Small issue I need to resolve, rather annoying so need help kindly point me in the right direction as to whom can sort the problem.They got the billing address wrong, because the area code and town isn't in their system, the town they have listed is 40km away, there is no other towns in between the two.So definitely problematic, especially with the device delivery expected, it's unlikely they going to allow the change or correction to the correct billing address, weirder things have happened...

I logged a query and got feedback the system doesn't allow the change because the system can't find the town (The reply came conveniently as promised at the end of the business day and week :D) , I even gave them exact coordinates via google maps and the link, not sure they even open the link but okay, so you kind of expect that they would escalate the matter and get the problem fixed and add the information to the system so things are reflected correctly.Annoying that they can't use the initiative to think ahead.

Unlike living in a large city choosing the next suburb over you still likely to get your mail, I could either use 1619 or 1618 and I would still get my mail, I don't think they seem to grasp I am in a rural area and area codes need to be pretty specific here or else your mail gets routed to the wrong mail center or hub, Imagine having to explain to a courier you are one town over when they call when in the area, we don't even have street names or numbers.

isie

Executive Member
Small issue I need to resolve, rather annoying so need help kindly point me in the right direction as to whom can sort the problem.They got the billing address wrong, because the area code and town isn't in their system, the town they have listed is 40km away, there is no other towns in between the two.So definitely problematic, especially with the device delivery expected, it's unlikely they going to allow the change or correction to the correct billing address, weirder things have happened...

I logged a query and got feedback the system doesn't allow the change because the system can't find the town (The reply came conveniently as promised at the end of the business day and week :D) , I even gave them exact coordinates via google maps and the link, not sure they even open the link but okay, so you kind of expect that they would escalate the matter and get the problem fixed and add the information to the system so things are reflected correctly.Annoying that they can't use the initiative to think ahead.

Unlike living in a large city choosing the next suburb over you still likely to get your mail, I could either use 1619 or 1618 and I would still get my mail, I don't think they seem to grasp I am in a rural area and area codes need to be pretty specific here or else your mail gets routed to the wrong mail center or hub, Imagine having to explain to a courier you are one town over when they call when in the area, we don't even have street names or numbers.
try updating it yourself on the customer portal?

wizardofid

Expert Member
try updating it yourself on the customer portal?
I did it refuses to accept the information even when i did the application they couldn't do it, thankfully common sense prevailed, and asked the agent to escalate the matter, and properly explain why they can't you that billing information, smsed and email a escalation number at least.

Try and enter Vanstadensrus as town and suburb and area code 9945, wanted this sorted before delivery as it may or may not cause issues you never know.....:(

cavedog

Honorary Master
I did it refuses to accept the information even when i did the application they couldn't do it, thankfully common sense prevailed, and asked the agent to escalate the matter, and properly explain why they can't you that billing information, smsed and email a escalation number at least.

Try and enter Vanstadensrus as town and suburb and area code 9945, wanted this sorted before delivery as it may or may not cause issues you never know.....:(
I doubt RAM does the deliveries and they are pretty good. If they really can't find you they will phone. Try and get the RAM tracking number from MTN and you should be good to go from there.

wizardofid

Expert Member
I doubt RAM does the deliveries and they are pretty good. If they really can't find you they will phone. Try and get the RAM tracking number from MTN and you should be good to go from there.
It's not ram it's DSV couriers....What I want to do is get the address fixed so if there is issues, I can refer them back to MTN to confirm the address....;)

wizardofid

Expert Member
Very interesting. Did not know MTN now use DSV.
So they called me today for delivery tomorrow, will see if that happens, said between 8 and 10am.I was like lol okay, you are at least 1h 45mins good luck ;). Also hit me today, does DSV courier stand for "Don't serve vodacom", I would be down with that :D. Also has no issues with changing to the correct address, after I explained that MTN system didn't allow my address, they were more then happy to update, whether or not they actually did it remains to be seen, hopefully they don't mess it up.

Also had a look at the comments on DSV, they don't exactly have the best or stellar record, stupidly they requested for proof of residence again.....um not needed, MTN already has that info, and I am only taking delivery of a device not a sim, but okay will have that ready.

And finally I guess I can't say emptyN any more :D

isie

Executive Member
So they called me today for delivery tomorrow, will see if that happens, said between 8 and 10am.I was like lol okay, you are at least 1h 45mins good luck ;). Also hit me today, does DSV courier stand for "Don't serve vodacom", I would be down with that :D. Also has no issues with changing to the correct address, after I explained that MTN system didn't allow my address, they were more then happy to update, whether or not they actually did it remains to be seen, hopefully they don't mess it up.

Also had a look at the comments on DSV, they don't exactly have the best or stellar record, stupidly they requested for proof of residence again.....um not needed, MTN already has that info, and I am only taking delivery of a device not a sim, but okay will have that ready.

And finally I guess I can't say emptyN any more :D
i think they just need the proof of residence cause mtn asks for it , same with me i just got the device so they just doing what they are told.

wizardofid

Expert Member
i think they just need the proof of residence cause mtn asks for it , same with me i just got the device so they just doing what they are told.
Well it seems to be a common problem, with cellphone stores as well, got a new usb modem about two years ago, went to the MTN store and was told you need proof of residence blah blah.Straight up since when do you need that for a device, I am not interested in a sim, Rica is for sim, not for devices.

They mentioned it's the law, nearly broke out laughing, as well as walking out of the store.Call the manager.Manager comes out, we need rica documents because it's the law.I mention, is takealot or online stores breaking the law by selling devices, without requiring documents.?

Um er....um huh you got me.So why don't you want to sell me a device without a sim.The response, um er..um.So I posed him a question, so if I were to plop down 12k cash on this table for a new device, without a sim, your are going to say no and lose out on a sale, because you don't know the law. Um...er...um, well sir we have to sell all devices with a sim card.No, you are obligated by your masters to do so.Didn't take kindly to that,I handed over my documents, and 30 minutes later job done.I ask for the bin, and scissors, opened the sim packet and took a scissor to the sim card and threw it in the bin and walked out.

The expression on their faces was pretty priceless.The newest thing now, is that places like pep and ackermans, void the warranty on your device if you use it with another network, wait...what.?

isie

Executive Member
Well it seems to be a common problem, with cellphone stores as well, got a new usb modem about two years ago, went to the MTN store and was told you need proof of residence blah blah.Straight up since when do you need that for a device, I am not interested in a sim, Rica is for sim, not for devices.

They mentioned it's the law, nearly broke out laughing, as well as walking out of the store.Call the manager.Manager comes out, we need rica documents because it's the law.I mention, is takealot or online stores breaking the law by selling devices, without requiring documents.?

Um er....um huh you got me.So why don't you want to sell me a device without a sim.The response, um er..um.So I posed him a question, so if I were to plop down 12k cash on this table for a new device, without a sim, your are going to say no and lose out on a sale, because you don't know the law. Um...er...um, well sir we have to sell all devices with a sim card.No, you are obligated by your masters to do so.Didn't take kindly to that,I handed over my documents, and 30 minutes later job done.I ask for the bin, and scissors, opened the sim packet and took a scissor to the sim card and threw it in the bin and walked out.

The expression on their faces was pretty priceless.The newest thing now, is that places like pep and ackermans, void the warranty on your device if you use it with another network, wait...what.?
Its a bit of a joke - i had to collect a sim from a telkom store once , when i got there i realised i forgot my proof of residence.
the consultant was like don't worry - calls up my profile reprints a statement and attaches it to the form - she says waste of time and paper but they have to do it they give them a hard time if its not there - but dont even check when it is there.

wizardofid

Expert Member
Just delivered the device, in time I might add.Thoroughly impressed....smoothest transaction I have ever done. :D kudos MTN, bar messing up my address, it's all good.

wizardofid

Expert Member
Thanks for the assist guys. !! Much appreciated.

BTW last item on the agenda was sorted this week when they issued the first invoice, for R72.00 odd rand having discounted the connection fee.

Last item on the agenda, from the services activation menu on MTN active, which will be cheaper getting the minutes or just buying airtime, it doesn't seem all that cheaper, not that I make 50 minute calls, but still Once off and recurring is the same price ?

Once-off Anytime 100min R 136.19 R 0.00 Activate
Once-off Anytime 200min R 272.40 R 0.00 Activate
Once-off Anytime 500min R 575.00 R 0.00 Activate
Once-off Anytime 50min R 70.70 R 0.00 Activate

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thanks for the assist guys. !! Much appreciated.

BTW last item on the agenda was sorted this week when they issued the first invoice, for R72.00 odd rand having discounted the connection fee.

Last item on the agenda, from the services activation menu on MTN active, which will be cheaper getting the minutes or just buying airtime, it doesn't seem all that cheaper, not that I make 50 minute calls, but still Once off and recurring is the same price ?

Once-off Anytime 100min R 136.19 R 0.00 Activate
Once-off Anytime 200min R 272.40 R 0.00 Activate
Once-off Anytime 500min R 575.00 R 0.00 Activate
Once-off Anytime 50min R 70.70 R 0.00 Activate
Good to know yes the unbilled invoice is sometimes very misleading as it does not list credits. That said you should now know that after 24 months the "monthly credits" will no longer apply because the credits usually just gets added for the 24 months so after that upgrade or cancel because you will lose by paying the full price on a month to month basis. :)

As for the minutes I'm not sure about those . You would need to see what is the call rate? If it's top up then MTN zone is also available to you. Some times MTN Zone discounts can be favorable and sometimes not so it's a gamble on that.

If you have a openline contract then MTN zone is not available to you and you need to search the call rate or test it yourself and work out which would be more value for money. :)

wizardofid

Expert Member
Good to know yes the unbilled invoice is sometimes very misleading as it does not list credits. That said you should now know that after 24 months the "monthly credits" will no longer apply because the credits usually just gets added for the 24 months so after that upgrade or cancel because you will lose by paying the full price on a month to month basis. :)

As for the minutes I'm not sure about those . You would need to see what is the call rate? If it's top up then MTN zone is also available to you. Some times MTN Zone discounts can be favorable and sometimes not so it's a gamble on that.

If you have a openline contract then MTN zone is not available to you and you need to search the call rate or test it yourself and work out which would be more value for money. :)
It's mychoice hybrid contract, so can activate services or topup with airtime, which is why I asked, any time minutes doesn't look all that good in my opinion, even mtn to mtn bundles is quite expensive..