XBMC VS W7MC VS MEDIAPORTAL and why?

Hemps

Honorary Master
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
11,671
Reaction score
1,634
Location
Slummies
My HTPC crashed recently and I had to redo everything.

I was a keen user of XBMC since it's inception many years ago but It is also very buggy sometimes.
I'm currently on Windows 7 Media Center with media browser and I must say it runs very well and plays everything including 45+GB Blu Ray copies.
Only thing is music - the skin does display the artwork very well.

XBMC used to stutter playing content and I ended up using VLC as an external player.

Never really tried Media Portal as I did not want to record TV.

What do you guys use on your media center's and why?
 
Last edited:
MC7 and MB, use that because I'm using my 360 as an extender. I was thinking of going over to a HTPC with xbmc, but from what I have read, MB is much more customizable than xbmc, only bad part is most MB themes are now going the paid way.

Have you tried the music addon for MB, and then there is also a another addon for MC, www.musicbrowser.tv, have not tested it yet though.

Sent from my Desire HD using MyBroadband Android App
 
XBMC is pretty cool and comes with a lot of awesome themes, tools and plugins, just check out their forums.
You might also be interrested in this app (xmm2) I wrote some time ago to manage your tv and movie media collection outside of XBMC and then you can export it for XBMC to use.
 
I would say XBMC if you don't need live TV and MediaPortal if you do want live TV.

If you have stuttering playback in XBMC, make sure that you have allowed for the use of hardware acceleration (that is if you have a proper GPU for that). I've never had a days hassles with XBMC, however I am not too familiar running it under Windows.
 
I'm starting to go back to XBMC - just so much more responsive.
On a nightly build and tested Avatar Blu Ray and playback was good.
Will hook it up tonight ot he Sony amp and LCD and see if it is still ok.
 
Yip, gave WM7 and MB a try they are very nice but too slow, It must be fast and smooth and xbmc comes in tops.
Had to update my movies, series and music again - 1GB+ of downloaded info..............posters an HD fanart.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X