Xbox controller, why so hard to find

Belligerence

Does anyone know where I can buy a non-generic Xbox 360 controller.

Tried FB but they all seem to be bundle prices with the console.

Pretty noob and Xbox, but like what I need is a Xbox 360 wireless controller with a rechargeable battery pack and play and charge cords

JacquesR

I'd imagine you'll struggle to find a 360 controller, seeing as the Xbox One controller has been out for years (replacing it), and is (mostly) backward-compatible. (But if you switch to Xbox One controllers, you'll likely experience the same problem I did, which is that the wireless receiver is difficult to find in SA - I had to bring mine back from the USA.)

Lupus

Honorary Master
I'd imagine you'll struggle to find a 360 controller, seeing as the Xbox One controller has been out for years (replacing it), and is (mostly) backward-compatible. (But if you switch to Xbox One controllers, you'll likely experience the same problem I did, which is that the wireless receiver is difficult to find in SA - I had to bring mine back from the USA.)
Why the new Xbox one controllers are Bluetooth. So get a Bluetooth adapter and enjoy. But only the new ones with the 3.5mm Jack at the bottom.
360 controllers go to cash crusaders they have returns.

AdrianH

Expert Member

Pretty noob and Xbox, but like what I need is a Xbox 360 wireless controller with a rechargeable battery pack and play and charge cords
Don't bother with the rechargeable packs and charge cords, I had two packs and they didn't last two years. I now just use Uniross rechargeables in both XB360 and XB1 controllers, haven't needed to replace the batteries in 5 years.

JacquesR

Why the new Xbox one controllers are Bluetooth. So get a Bluetooth adapter and enjoy. But only the new ones with the 3.5mm Jack at the bottom.
Because there was serious lag when connecting more than one controller over Bluetooth, and because headsets aren't supported over Bluetooth.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The consoles don’t use Bluetooth...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
But the new controllers for the Xbox one S do, as I've connected mine to my pc.
Yes the controller. Specifically for use with PC.

But the consoles don’t support Bluetooth.

Also have no idea where people above got the notion that Xbox One controller works on the 360. It doesn’t.

It’s also not correct that it’s only the ones with the 3.5mm jacks at the bottom. What you should rather look for is that the plastic housing around the guide button is different, as there was a revision of the old controller with 3.5mm that isn’t Bluetooth.

The Elite (gen 1) also doesn’t have Bluetooth.

Anything that came with an Xbox One S or later has the new controller. Otherwise it’s simply referred to as the S controller.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It is very easy to find.

But as was stated already not nearly necessary with the controllers supporting Bluetooth.

This is however useless information to the OP as it only applies to PC.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yes the controller. Specifically for use with PC.

But the consoles don’t support Bluetooth.

Also have no idea where people above got the notion that Xbox One controller works on the 360. It doesn’t.

It’s also not correct that it’s only the ones with the 3.5mm jacks at the bottom. What you should rather look for is that the plastic housing around the guide button is different, as there was a revision of the old controller with 3.5mm that isn’t Bluetooth.

The Elite (gen 1) also doesn’t have Bluetooth.

Anything that came with an Xbox One S or later has the new controller. Otherwise it’s simply referred to as the S controller.
Yeah that part I don't know actually. But the 360 controller isn't that hard to find. https://www.cashcrusaders.co.za/new-goods/unboxed-genuine-xbox-360-wireless-controller/stockcode8468
Okay didn't know there was a revision with the 3.5mm that wasn't Bluetooth.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

To answer your question, the product was discontinued in 2016 already which is why you are struggling to find stuff for it.

So as mentioned before Gumtree or Cash Crusaders and the like would be a better bet.

Also Uniross batteries rather than the old packs that were NiMh and didn’t last.

Belligerence

To answer your question, the product was discontinued in 2016 already which is why you are struggling to find stuff for it.

So as mentioned before Gumtree or Cash Crusaders and the like would be a better bet.

Also Uniross batteries rather than the old packs that were NiMh and didn’t last.
What do you mean by....
Also Uniross batteries rather than the old packs that were NiMh and didn’t last

W

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What do you mean by....
Also Uniross batteries rather than the old packs that were NiMh and didn’t last

W
They die within a year’s worth of charge cycles.

Uniross is a brand of rechargeable batteries you get at the likes of Makro or Takealot etc that are charged out of the box and hold their charge and last many years, so a much better option as you can charge them and use them as required instead of having dead batteries and no game time.