Xiaomi Mi 9

Sumen

Expert Member
The Xiaomi Mi 9 just went official with the company’s first triple camera and the fastest wireless charging of any phone yet.

The star of the camera is the 48MP module, a Sony IMX586 with a Quad Bayer filter. It’s a large 1/2” sensor with 0.8µm pixels, which can be combined into 1.6µm Super pixels. Note that the Redmi Note 7 from the sub-brand uses the Samsung 48MP sensor instead.

Anyway, the Mi 9 also offers a 16MP ultra-wide camera with 117° field of view. It has 1.0µm pixels and an f/2.2 lens with autofocus, which allows it to shoot macros from 4cm distance. The Mi 8 lacked an ultra-wide cam. It did have a 12MP 2x telephoto camera, but the Mi 9 trumps it with a brighter aperture (f/2.2).

The screen grew up to 6.39-inches but is still a Super AMOLED panel with 1080p+ resolution. Xiaomi claims 90.7% screen-to-body ratio, in part thanks to the smaller waterdrop notch. The screen’s High brightness mode can reach 600nits. Alternatively, Dark Mode can be used to reduce power usage by up to 83%. The Always-On Display now supports colorful patterns to spruce up the look of the phone.

The smaller notch required modifications to the 20MP selfie camera (f/2.0, 0.9µm). In some regions, there will be AI-powered face unlock. AI is also used to reduce the distortion in the ultra-wide camera and will prompt you to switch between cameras when it thinks you can get a better shot.

The other biometric unlock option is the in-display fingerprint reader. It can be used with Google Pay thanks to the NFC connectivity. There’s also a dual-frequency GPS and an IR blaster.

Back to the screen for a moment, it’s guarded by Gorilla Glass 6. The back gets Gorilla Glass 5 and the triple camera has even more protection with a sapphire glass lens cover. If there’s one sort of protection the Mi 9 lacks, it is water resistance.

The Xiaomi Mi 9 brings a major improvement in fast charging. The company calls it Charge Turbo and it can deliver up to 27W over USB-C. However, the standard retail package comes with an 18W charger instead (matching the Mi 8).

There’s a fast wireless charger – up to 20W, the fastest we’ve seen yet – which comes bundled with a 27W wired charger. A 20W wireless car charger will also be available. Charge Turbo has been certified by TÜV, by the way, so it matches the Huawei's solutions in terms of safety. With all this, the battery capacity is essentially the same, 3,300mAh (that’s 100mAh down compared to the Mi 8).

Xiaomi picked the Snapdragon 855 chipset to power the Mi 9, no surprise here. It’s paired with 6GB of RAM and you can choose between 64GB and 128GB of storage. Game Turbo mode will tune the CPU and GPU to deliver a smoother gaming experience.

There will be a transparent version (you see decals rather than the real components). This model will pack 12GB of RAM and 256GB storage. This one will be available only in China at first. Also only in China, the phones will use Xiao AI instead of the Google Assistant.

The standard Xiaomi Mi 9 will be available in Lavender Violet, Ocean Blue and Piano Black. The pricing for the 6/128 GB variant is CNY2,999, which is about $455/€395. The 8/128 GB option is CNY3,299 ($490/€430), while the Transparent option with 12 GB RAM and 256 GB storage will cost CNY3,999 ($595/€525).

Source:https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_9_unveiled_with_48mp_triple_camera_20w_wireless_charging-news-35581.php

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Seems crazy to me to take this over the OnePlus 6T.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
- OxygenOS is probably the best Android OS available
- OnePlus has the fastest charging
- Similar modern design
- Similar price
- It does have water resistance
- Bigger 3700mAh battery
- Overall just better suited to Western markets

Volksieboi

Expert Member
- Similar modern design
- Similar price
- Bigger 3700mAh battery
Fair if we consider the $100 extra

Sumen

Expert Member
Xiaomi Mi 9 has Widevine L1 support for HD Netflix videos

An often overlooked feature of smartphones is the Widevine DRM level that is supported. To watch HD videos on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and many other video streaming services, a Widevine L1 is one of the prerequisites. With only Widevine L3 support, the maximum video resolution you’ll see in Netflix is 540p. Some devices with Widevine L1 support will even become L3 once the bootloader is unlocked, like on the OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T. Many companies never bother to go through the certification process for Widevine L1, which is something that Xiaomi is known for. Most Xiaomi devices don’t support Widevine L1, but the Xiaomi Mi 9 does.

The Xiaomi Mi 9 is the latest flagship from Xiaomi, a device which we got some hands-on time with at this year’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. It features the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 mobile platform, at least 6GB of RAM, an in-display fingerprint scanner, and a 1080p 6.39-inch HDR10 AMOLED display. The speakers are loud, the display is bright, and you can indulge in all of your HD Netflix media binging on this device if you’d like.
Xiaomi Mi 9 Forums

Only days ago did Xiaomi also update the POCO F1 with Widevine L1 support, something which shows that companies are listening and realizing that some may want to use their mobile devices as media streaming platforms. Just because a device is Widevine L1 certified, however, doesn’t mean video streaming services will automatically allow them to stream protected content. Service providers like Netflix can whitelist or blacklist devices based on their own desired parameters. This isn’t the case here though, as Netflix HD streaming works just fine on the Xiaomi Mi 9.

Source: https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-9-widevine-l1-support-hd-netflix-videos/

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
- Similar modern design
- Similar price
- Bigger 3700mAh battery
Where do you import from?
My Mi6 had a tragic death this morning and I am considering OnePlus. Not sure when the 7T is getting released.

@AlphaJohn , any news on when the Poco F2 is getting released?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Where do you import from?
My Mi6 had a tragic death this morning and I am considering OnePlus. Not sure when the 7T is getting released.

Not the 7T, just regular 7. And the OP7 is just about guaranteed for June as usual.

All my OnePlus's, since the original, have been ordered directly from OnePlus. I recommend a durable case like a Tech21 if you're prone to drops.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Not the 7T, just regular 7. And the OP7 is just about guaranteed for June as usual.

All my OnePlus's, since the original, have been ordered directly from OnePlus. I recommend a durable case like a Tech21 if you're prone to drops.
The 7T will be the upgraded version so I am thinking of going for that when it does get released some day.
There is no talk about it using the 712 chipset though.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I doubt we will hear anything till August tbh, also doubt that it will rock the same low price. My suspicion is that it will go Oneplus route, remember 1st Oneplus was also a market disruptor just loke Poco was. My theory is that Xiaomi going to use Poco name to aim for the same market segment as Oneplus.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The 7T will be the upgraded version so I am thinking of going for that when it does get released some day.
There is no talk about it using the 712 chipset though.
7T will come in November most likely.

If the 7T is likely to have 5G that is a major consideration for me. The OP7 definitely won't.

jostian

I guess they courier it?