Xpol 6-10m no gain

Hello,

So i purchased the XPOL 6-10m antenna which is suppose to increase download and upload speed.

Using B618 & the TS9 to SMA converter cables.

Set router to use external antenna.

However my up and down speeds are MUCH worse using the antenna, Had it on my roof, rotated the antenna around 360deg. increments of say 20deg and checked download.

Getting 1000ms + ping, download on 00.2mbps down 00.1mbps.

Tested this different times of the day, same results.

Can the antenna be faulty ?

Using the internal antenna inside house the down and up are -+ 7mpbs. Ping 18ms.

Thanks

marlin178

Expert Member
That Antenna is highly directional - you need to ascertain where your tower is and point it in that direction.
Then you need to make minute adjustments to get the best possible signal stats out of your router.

At the moment, you could be pointing it at a tower much further away and thus the reason you're getting rubbish results.

Lookup @Azimuth here - he may be able to help you out.

Hello @Umzimbeet tried mailing them since december, not a single reply, gave up on that.
@rickster the router has external supply.

Think ill try again since it seems the antenna is very sensitive to direction.

Spaj

Hello,

So i purchased the XPOL 6-10m antenna which is suppose to increase download and upload speed.

Using B618 & the TS9 to SMA converter cables.

Set router to use external antenna.

However my up and down speeds are MUCH worse using the antenna, Had it on my roof, rotated the antenna around 360deg. increments of say 20deg and checked download.

Getting 1000ms + ping, download on 00.2mbps down 00.1mbps.

Tested this different times of the day, same results.

Can the antenna be faulty ?

Using the internal antenna inside house the down and up are -+ 7mpbs. Ping 18ms.

Thanks
Sounds like it may be faulty or a poor/non connection, although unlikely both leads would be faulty. Give Poynting a call. Maybe try the LTEWatch utility when adjusting the antenna, it has an adjustable time span/frequency graph of all signal readings as well as a 'big mode' display mode for at a distance monitoring.

Thanks for the replies, @Spaj, Seems the Antenna is fine, For some wierd reason the antenna has better reception in the house ?? haha this makes no sense i know.. Seems like the antenna gets better reception indoors when pointed upwards to the roof.

Also called Poynting tech support, not really friendly or of any assistance, Just said i should keep the antenna pointed at a certain direction for longer than 3 mins...So far im having better luck using the internal antenna. lol

I think as marlin178 mentions the XPOL-0006-10M is far more sensitive with regards to placement and direction.

I purchased the XPOL-0001 initially and had amazing results with it but wanted to see what the XPOL-0006-10M could deliver. After messing around with the XPOL-0006-10M for a while it was just not able to match the performance the XPOL-0001 granted me (it was almost as though there was no external antenna attached) and so I gave up on it and went back to the XPOL-0001.

The external antenna gave me a bump of 40Mbps in throughput after forcing the router onto the higher frequency band.

If you can still return it perhaps try the XPOL-0001?

I think as marlin178 mentions the XPOL-0006-10M is far more sensitive with regards to placement and direction.

I purchased the XPOL-0001 initially and had amazing results with it but wanted to see what the XPOL-0006-10M could deliver. After messing around with the XPOL-0006-10M for a while it was just not able to match the performance the XPOL-0001 granted me (it was almost as though there was no external antenna attached) and so I gave up on it and went back to the XPOL-0001.

The external antenna gave me a bump of 40Mbps in throughput after forcing the router onto the higher frequency band.

If you can still return it perhaps try the XPOL-0001?
How do you force the B618 router to higher HZ ? Eventually got a reply from RAIN so will try the direction tonight.

cavedog

Honorary Master
How do you force the B618 router to higher HZ ? Eventually got a reply from RAIN so will try the direction tonight.
https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showth...-with-Rain?p=20667472&viewfull=1#post20667472

Rain uses 2 frequencies. 1800MHz band 3 and 2600MHz Band 38. Since the B618 does not support carrier aggregation between these two bands a complete oversight of Rain it means people with the B618 can choose to use band 3 or band 38. Ideally one would want a router that can aggregate both so you get the most speed but Rain decided to be dumb and chose this router.

Follow my link. Download the tool. Edit your username and password in the config file. Then you can switch between 1800MHz and 2600MHz TDD.

When you are aligning your antenna check the router signal stats and cell id. It will give you an indication if you are getting the direction right. Cell id will change when you change tower or when switch between bands.

https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showth...-with-Rain?p=20667472&viewfull=1#post20667472

Rain uses 2 frequencies. 1800MHz band 3 and 2600MHz Band 38. Since the B618 does not support carrier aggregation between these two bands a complete oversight of Rain it means people with the B618 can choose to use band 3 or band 38. Ideally one would want a router that can aggregate both so you get the most speed but Rain decided to be dumb and chose this router.

Follow my link. Download the tool. Edit your username and password in the config file. Then you can switch between 1800MHz and 2600MHz TDD.

When you are aligning your antenna check the router signal stats and cell id. It will give you an indication if you are getting the direction right. Cell id will change when you change tower or when switch between bands.
cavedog sir you are a Genius !!! Thank you soooo much !! This helped tremendously. My speeds are 10 times better.

Though i must note not big a difference between Internal Antenna VS External, however my SINR are 5 on the external vs 0 on the internal, Speeds are the same.

Thanks again. .....No idea why RAIN would ship the B618 with 1800HZ only....

cavedog

Honorary Master
cavedog sir you are a Genius !!! Thank you soooo much !! This helped tremendously. My speeds are 10 times better.

Though i must note not big a difference between Internal Antenna VS External, however my SINR are 5 on the external vs 0 on the internal, Speeds are the same.

Thanks again. .....No idea why RAIN would ship the B618 with 1800HZ only....
Well they shipped the B618 because it does LTE+/4G+ aka LTE Advanced but they missed one little detail. The router does not support LTE-A on their network because it can't aggregate the two bands. Big mistake from them that they refuse to accept and rectify. The fact that no one on their network is connecting via LTE-A should be a signal in it's self but I guess it's iburst...

Basically Rain would like people to make use of LTE-A connecting to both bands the same time doubling bandwidth but the B618 does not support. So you need to manually select the LTE bands.

The xpol 6 would work great with band 38 so I suggest you might want to mount it and play with the direction a bit.

dotcat

So heard rumour Huawei are working on firmware upgrade that will both enable 2300MHz on the 22d model and may also allow CA between the 2 Rain bands. But let's see what happens...don't know if that is technically possible.

cavedog

Honorary Master
So heard rumour Huawei are working on firmware upgrade that will both enable 2300MHz on the 22d model and may also allow CA between the 2 Rain bands. But let's see what happens...don't know if that is technically possible.
Will be interesting although I doubt it is possible because if it was why create different models? Anyways the ASA is working on my complaint. Will probably take 3 months or so before we get a ruling on the matter.

I tried resolving it with Rain and Vodacom directly because Vodacom is also offering the B618 on their LTE-A deals but Vodacom relies on Rain for their LTE-A so that is a fail from their part too but they just not responding to my complaints.

Will be interesting although I doubt it is possible because if it was why create different models? Anyways the ASA is working on my complaint. Will probably take 3 months or so before we get a ruling on the matter.

I tried resolving it with Rain and Vodacom directly because Vodacom is also offering the B618 on their LTE-A deals but Vodacom relies on Rain for their LTE-A so that is a fail from their part too but they just not responding to my complaints.
Well some how we should really bring this to their attention, U simply cant false advertise. Its ethically not right.

Who is ASA ?

Anyways, Thanks for the help, helped me a lot.

Cheers!